Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

End of warranty inspection

Johnd52

Hockenheim
My Cayman GTS is three years old at the end of November. I would like to get a thorough inspection done to check if there is any work required that could be sorted before the warranty expires.

What is the consensus on here? Do I get a 111 point check done by the OPC?
It is due a service so I could get it done at the same time. I know it will fail on grills and other additions so will probably not get an extended warranty.

Or do I ask my local Indy to give it a going over?

Thoughts and opinions gratefully received

Get your OPC to carry out any warranty work whilst the warranty is still current. Identifiable work would come to light during the 111 check.

Ask your OPC if they can do a end of warranty inspection as part of the service, I would expect that they would be happy to do it cheaper than a 111 or for free..... I know BMW for instance do it for free.

Thanks. I would prefer to use my OPC so will speak to them and see what they say.

I did a search on here for the 111 check and there are some less than positive reports, but I guess that the positive ones are rarely written about.

my experience:

book it up well in advance
has to be OPC
the warranty has to be issued on the same day the check is done
you pay - though not too much (given what Porsche usually charge...)

I know its crazy, because any thing that is wrong would need to be fixed by them under warranty and they should have spotted these things anyway at a scheduled service.

cunningly though as the service interval is 2 years, when the three years are up you wouldn't normally be bringing it back in for a service as a matter of course...

Similar position with my 981 Boxster - will be 3 years old in April

What is the generally accepted position on taking out an extended warranty?

I am guessing that it would make sense and that OPC Warranty is the way to go?

Thanks

Mike

Imho .. OPC warrenty is the best there is .

I always recomend people get one when ever they can .

Whilst rare , sometimes expensive things do break , ive had customers in tears before when ive had to tell them this and they have no warrenty ..

Not something i like to do .

My warranty on my Cayman 981 gts runs out in July.
I looked on Porsche site but can see cost on there. Am I missing it.
Anyone know cost to extend for the gts Cayman 981.
I know the 111 is about £200 but what the cost for 2 year warranty.
Again I know you get with and without breakdown.
Bit scared to take a risk without warranty as Dermort say could be an expensive mistake

S A Watt said:

I don't know if the Cayman warranty is any cheaper than for a 911. :dont know:

If not, it's £216 for the 111 point check (less any discount you can negotiate).

To extend an existing warranty is £1020 (12 mths) or £1840 (24 mths).

Porsche Assistance is £169 (12 mths) or £275 (24 mths) on top of that.

Thanks, Terry - general consensus seems t be that it is worth it but try to negotiate the price to include the inspection....

mikeluke said:
Thanks, Terry - general consensus seems t be that it is worth it but try to negotiate the price to include the inspection....

The warranty isn't negotiable and you won't get the 111 point check for free. The best I've ever got/heard of is £70-odd when the 111 point check is done at the same time as a service.

if done as part of a service then a lot of the items are already checked as part of this .. but im afraid not all .

Its going to be a varing amount charged for the rest im afraid .

I would like to think a major plus the 111 point check and they would negate the cost for the 111 .. but this may well not be the case .

if as a stand alone .. you will pay full price for the check .

Its not right .. but its what they do im afraid ... there isnt much they check but charge for above a major .

S A Watt said:
Bit scared to take a risk without warranty as Dermort say could be an expensive mistake

Wow that is a late registration! Do you know the actual build date?

in fact is actually possible to find out the build date?

Anyhow, I'd have extended the warranty on my GTS if I'd kept it. My main concerns were: how durable PDK really is and what if a module in the PCM system threw a wobbly. Neither of those would be a cheap fix. We had a unit fail in the iDrive of a previous BMW series. It was £1000 for the part alone and it was only the box that allowed the controller to talk to the system. We were 3 years out of warranty, but still got a goodwill 50% off from BMW as we had been loyal customers and only used them for servicing. I can't see Porsche giving a penny off for anything outside warranty and their parts prices make BMW appear cheap :eek:

I'm not sure of the build date. How can I find that out?

It was registered 1.7.16.

Newest 981 gets I could find

Didn't want a 2.5 engine😁

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back