Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake squeal

Poker2009

Suzuka
I am fast approaching 60k miles on my 2005 997 C2S.

I replaced the front brake pads with Pagid from ECP, including new shims. This was over four years ago, at 40k miles.

Prior to this the car had original Porsche discs and brakes all round, none of which have ever been replaced. Never had any brake squeal.

Over the last few months I have noticed some brake squeal, obviously I am blaming the half-worn Pagid pads, but could be the worn front discs.

I am regretting ever going with Pagid.

Should I replace all the discs and pads with genuine Porsche now? There is another 10-20k miles left in the discs/pads, but all front and rear pads/discs will need changing next time.

Obviously I would rather not pay the premium for Porsche discs/pads, but I would rather have the car as it was designed, and also not happy about this brake squeal. New porsche pads/discs all round would give me another 40k miles.

A build up of brake dust can cause squealing. Finding an empty car park, reversing quickly and applying the brakes seems to give them a clean. Do this a few times and it could well help. Sorted squealy brakes on my cayman and c2s after track days.

Worth trying before doing anything more drastic.

If you can get access to some, using compressed air to clear the rotors and calipers works really well. Alternatively get some Dragons Breath, and let it sit for a minute or two before hosing them down (just be sure to take it for a drive after cleaning to get it hot and dry).

Pagids are noisy, and likely will get noisy again relatively quickly. If the rotors still have lots of life in them you can get the rotors resurfaced and replace the pads with OEM or something less noisy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back