Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BMC Air Filters - under £80, are they worth it ?

Milo72

Just looking at CP4L over my Sunday morning cornflakes and see that they are less than £80 with a discount...

I've read about them on here, but is it worth getting for that money ?

BMC filters are the way to go for porsche, i also have one fitted out of recommendation so yessss.

J

I put some on a couple of weeks ago. Can't feel a difference but the exhaust note sounds smoother/less gruff if you know what I mean.

I don't reckon it's worth full price, but for the price of a tank of fuel, you may as well.

Very easy DIY, and a chance to give the air box cover a good clean.

James M-S said:
I put some on a couple of weeks ago. Can't feel a difference but the exhaust note sounds smoother/less gruff if you know what I mean.

I don't reckon it's worth full price, but for the price of a tank of fuel, you may as well.

Very easy DIY, and a chance to give the air box cover a good clean.

If the exhaust note and driveability is different then the filter is doing the job, as for power maybe 2-3 bhp you would gain, if you notice a powerchange i.e. faster id be surprised!! Overall its good for the engine to breath and alittle good on fuel! If added a performance exhaust snd other mods with a re-map etc then the filter is more appreciated!! I payed much more than 80 quid and i felt a difference haveing valvetrinic full stainless etc...

J

100% its the best mod for the money , everyone should do it just so the car can breath more freely and rev more freely , and the BMC filters to a finer micron than the OE paper filter so its actually better than OE :thumb:
remember they are reusable so will save in the long run. when you do clean it and re oil it make sure you wrap it in kitchen paper towel and put it overnight in the airing cupboard to steep . that way you will avoid any manual over oiling fouling the maff as its hard to reoil them manually as lightly as they are oiled new. more cold air in is good for the engine. :grin: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
100% its the best mod for the money , everyone should do it just so the car can breath more freely and rev more freely , and the BMC filters to a finer micron than the OE paper filter so its actually better than OE :thumb:
remember they are reusable so will save in the long run. when you do clean it and re oil it make sure you wrap it in kitchen paper towel and put it overnight in the airing cupboard to steep . that way you will avoid any manual over oiling fouling the maff as its hard to reoil them manually as lightly as they are oiled new. more cold air in is good for the engine. :grin: :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb:

J

Going to be the only person disagreeing by the looks of things, but everything I've read indicates the BMC filter does very little good, and adds risk of MAF fouling. The Porsche OE filters are great, and your money is better spent on other things. If you're determined to use them, the general suggestion is to treat them like a disposible filter and not re-oil as this tends to result in fouling, although the suggestion above may be enough to mitigate this.

I have had BMC in the gen1 and gen2 for the past 5 years or more wouldnt ever go back to OE and that horrible wheezy gasp of death sound that the engine sounds like without a sports filter , I honestly think if my engine could have thanked me it would when I changed it just sounded so much healthier and happy. :thumb:

Have just ordered mine, thanks for the pos heads up.

Do you have a link as I could not find these of CP4L - many thanks

MarkC4S said:
Do you have a link as I could not find these of CP4L - many thanks

It's under the 'performance car parts' tab rather than just the 'car parts' one ;)

Clicky here

I would definitely recommend for a gen 1, gen 2 there's no real need to change them according to Sharkwerks, however if you are determined than the BMC is the one that they suggest.

nz911 said:
Going to be the only person disagreeing by the looks of things, but everything I've read indicates the BMC filter does very little good, and adds risk of MAF fouling. The Porsche OE filters are great, and your money is better spent on other things. If you're determined to use them, the general suggestion is to treat them like a disposible filter and not re-oil as this tends to result in fouling, although the suggestion above may be enough to mitigate this.

+1, this is spot on I'm afraid. Surprised so many are unaware of this.

Poker2009 said:
nz911 said:

+1, this is spot on I'm afraid. Surprised so many are unaware of this.

I have had BMC filters on both my gen1 and gen2 for 6 years and no maff fouling ever ,that only has a risk of happening if you reuse them and over oil it manually without drying and steeping. ( I do use my BMCs as a disposable item)
as I posted further up the thread the engine breaths more freely revs more freely and the BMC filters to a better micron than the OE filter, improved cold air is known to be good for these engines.. But if guys are happy to keep the wheezy strangled sound of there engine and not get the gains from the BMC its there choice :thumb: :thumb:
remember induction is one of the ways Porsche used to restrict the 3.8S engines potential to stop it getting too close to the flagship models and killing the sales of those cars. :grin:

as a side note if anyone wants the induction improvements without any added induction note then Pipercross do a oil free (dry) filter on special order from their factory it takes about a week to get it. due to pipercrosses use of a foam in the filter it does not give an induction note improvement but does give the more free flowing air supply and more freely reving engine and stops the wheezy engine OE sound :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back