Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 wheel replacement

knw911

Hi guys and gals

I'm looking to swap out my standard wheel with a Momo Mod 07.

There is a lot of info out there, but its all a bit bitty and cant find anything complete, end to end.

systemmeister had a great post, but has some pics missing.

From what I can see, I need to buy the following parts:

1) Momo hub - MOM7004
2) airbag bypass - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-OHMS...rentrq:105c714b1660a9cad9a96c85fff99901|iid:1
3) Horn button

Is there anything else? any other hints or tips. Anyone want to helpl me do it with ahahah?

Cheers H mate. :thumb:

KNW, yes there's lots of information out there with bits and bobs missing.
As long as you buy the parts I did it all becomes apparent. :wink:

I should have done a better step by step guide but like I say you'll get there by combining the various threads.

Buy the copper pad to power the hub, the end connector (for the wire you need to extend and take into the currently empty hole in the main wiring unit) and also a 2.8 ohm resistor to keep the airbag light off.

First two from Porsche, resistor from eBay.

I was dreading it a bit after the problems Dammit had with his horn but the actual physical fitting etc is very simple.
Ping me a message if you get stuck. :thumb:

thanks fella.

I will get the bits from Porsche and give it a go.

Did you use washers to "pad out" the stem that I've seen people do?

It's hit and miss if the horn works... just depends on your particualr car.

My Indy have had the car for the last 2 days for springs shocks and to wire the horn/airbag resistor on the Momo Cup wheel I bought.

They have not been able to get the horn working due to the steering column not earthing. Said they've seen nothing like it before - Works with the ignition off, but not when it's on.

Stotty said:
It's hit and miss if the horn works... just depends on your particualr car.

My Indy have had the car for the last 2 days for springs shocks and to wire the horn/airbag resistor on the Momo Cup wheel I bought.

They have not been able to get the horn working due to the steering column not earthing. Said they've seen nothing like it before - Works with the ignition off, but not when it's on.

Thats a little worrying.. cant you run a cable from the negative to an earthing point somewhere?

Marky911 said:
Cheers H mate. :thumb:

KNW, yes there's lots of information out there with bits and bobs missing.
As long as you buy the parts I did it all becomes apparent. :wink:

I should have done a better step by step guide but like I say you'll get there by combining the various threads.

Buy the copper pad to power the hub, the end connector (for the wire you need to extend and take into the currently empty hole in the main wiring unit) and also a 2.8 ohm resistor to keep the airbag light off.

First two from Porsche, resistor from eBay.

I was dreading it a bit after the problems Dammit had with his horn but the actual physical fitting etc is very simple.
Ping me a message if you get stuck. :thumb:

Chap - where did you get your PORSCHE decals made? would love to add one to mine.

42393866_683471472038556_1660646816718519753_n.jpg

Wheel has arrived...

Stotty said:

Is this the same bunch of clowns that Dammit used ?? :lol:

It works with the ignition off because the steering lock makes a connection between the parts of the steering column. Mine was exactly the same, you just need to add an earth, it was easy.

Alternatively, pay them ££££££s to fit a different column.......

Stotty / knw911 - whereabouts in the country are you ? If you're near Sandhurst, Berks I'll give you a hand.

I'm in Weybridge, so only 30 mins away from you... if you can help I'd be very happy!

Sundayjumper said:
Stotty / knw911 - whereabouts in the country are you ? If you're near Sandhurst, Berks I'll give you a hand.

You're about 1.5 hours away, but totally worth the trip for me to pop over on a weekend to get some help, but also, good to meet a fellow 911'er.

I'm free on Sat 6th if you want to pop over.

knw911 - that's a long drive ! You're welcome to come over but I'd feel bad if we couldn't get it working and you had a wasted journey. Weybridge is not so bad.

Sundayjumper said:
I'm free on Sat 6th if you want to pop over.

knw911 - that's a long drive ! You're welcome to come over but I'd feel bad if we couldn't get it working and you had a wasted journey. Weybridge is not so bad.

I'm used to much longer journeys than that, and am often heading over that way.

I don't want to inconvenience you though. How long do you think the job would take?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back