Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front Radiator Fans..... or should I say Fan.

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
Being a new owner i'm still finding my way round my car and wondered what is meant to happen and what maybe isn't.

After even the most sedate drive the off side fan on the drivers side is going full blast. Nothing from the near side.

I've eatablished that there are 2 fans there but should the come in at the same time or do they at different temperatures?

If it's stopped working how do I get to it ?

Milo72 said:
Being a new owner i'm still finding my way round my car and wondered what is meant to happen and what maybe isn't.

After even the most sedate drive the off side fan on the drivers side is going full blast. Nothing from the near side.

I've eatablished that there are 2 fans there but should the come in at the same time or do they at different temperatures?

If it's stopped working how do I get to it ?

Probably a stone stuck in the one fan that is not working. Other comes on to compensate.

997 and its common for stones to jam the fan .. basically its an on demand system and the fan can run at only 10% speed .. not enough to clear debris and the fan jams .

The other side will then run full speed as the cars knows there is a problem and will compensate for it .. you will actually get a fault code saying fan inop.

The solution .. wheel on a full lock , keys OUT of the igntion and use a long flat bladed screwdriver and through the arch liner grills to move the fan blades .

Do it both ways until its free .

Worst case senario is remove the arch liner and dig out the debris but 95% of the time a screwdriver will work .

Give us a difficult problem :D

deMort said:
997 and its common for stones to jam the fan .. basically its an on demand system and the fan can run at only 10% speed .. not enough to clear debris and the fan jams .

The other side will then run full speed as the cars knows there is a problem and will compensate for it .. you will actually get a fault code saying fan inop.

The solution .. wheel on a full lock , keys OUT of the igntion and use a long flat bladed screwdriver and through the arch liner grills to move the fan blades .

Do it both ways until its free .

Worst case senario is remove the arch liner and dig out the debris but 95% of the time a screwdriver will work .

Give us a difficult problem :D

Just messaged you - all sorted. Thank you very much

I wish I knew this screwdriver trick before I jacked up the car (and used a stand), removed a wheel and all the front wheel arch liners to access the fan .... but then I'm no mechanic. Next time, though, I'll be smarter.

MaxA said:
I wish I knew this screwdriver trick before I jacked up the car (and used a stand), removed a wheel and all the front wheel arch liners to access the fan .... but then I'm no mechanic. Next time, though, I'll be smarter.

If it's any consolation I am going to do what you have done as well. My fan is now working but I've seen some of the pictures online where the radiators look like the they have a small forrest in them so plan to take the liners out and clear them out.... tempted to take the bumper off too. :)

Milo72 said:
MaxA said:

If it's any consolation I am going to do what you have done as well. My fan is now working but I've seen some of the pictures online where the radiators look like the they have a small forrest in them so plan to take the liners out and clear them out.... tempted to take the bumper off too. :)

Good plan. Apparently the mechanics at my indy used to run a sweepstake on the number of fag ends in each side on a 997.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steamy
Back