Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight part number confusion...

david_yorkshire

Morning all

I need a new headlight (stone damage )

£2500 from OPC.

its a 991.1 GT3, PDLS LED light (not black trim)

so, there is a S/H light listed on eBay at the moment. (taken from a 991 Turbo)

I was hovering over the buy it now button...but thought I'd just better check the part number of mine.

usual Porsche efficiency - removal method in manual, 2 mins and out she pops.

however...

the P/N on the headlight differs from that on the add.

OK you say, so its a different light.

but the spec is identical (L/H LED, PDLS, not Black trim )

my part number 991.631.173.03 (05-11-13)

add part number 991.631.273.01 (20-10-14)

I've trawled the PETs and the online parts lists and cannot find any reference at all to my light !

short of calling up an OPC parts department (who would probably tell me F all) I'm at a loss as to how find the part numbers & make sure the eBay part will work

suggestions?

David, sorry to hear about the damaged headlight and hope you can get a part number sorted out.

Did notice on Tequipment that 2 LED headlights, black, including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus) (and presumably the electronic control units) can be had for £3288 fitted. Maybe a single headlight wouldn't be as much as £2500. :?:

Did you manage to get this reolved and, if so, what was the outcome of teh part number saga?

James

I did... but it wasn't straightforward.

OPC wanted Circa £2300 to replace one headlight

I bought the S/H light off of eBay 0 took a bit of a punt
Guy had bought it for his LHD GT3 but it didnt work.

headlight turns up - mint condition.

started to strip it down - instantly noticed two control modules missing.

Not an issue - I have them on my cosmetically damaged headlight... or so I thought

The main control unit harness had a totally different connector fitted !

So, it was at this point I had a choice - sell it on or delve further in.

I took the second option.

So, stripped both headlights down side by side - a fair few differences, internally, but using both wiring looms I worked out I could probably make it work.

ffwd a week or so ( I wasn't rushing this job!) both wiring looms cut out of the respective headlights.

circa 30 connections needed soldering to allow the old harness to work in the new headlight.

All connections wired up & soldered / heat shrunk, and discovered three 'unknown' wires going down the headlight to the front - no connectors

Kept going, wired up all I knew, modified the rear of the new light housing to fit the old control modules in, and braced myself.

90% there; the main / full beam / and cornering worked.

just no LED sidelights on.

no errors from the car either.

So, I guessed that the three 'spare' wires that I found on re-install are for the LEDs - I called it a night, not wanting to push my luck too far!

So, the next day armed with a multimeter & soldering iron I had a go on the last 3 wires, which I''m assuming are for the LEDs.

so close...!

Couple of permutations tried, eventually bingo - light LED sidelights worked.

Removed there headlight, tidied up all the connections, refitted properly and bobs your favourite relative - headlight 100% fixed !

david_yorkshire said:
I did... but it wasn't straightforward...used my brain instead of my wallet...and bobs your favourite relative - headlight 100% fixed !

:grin:

:thumb:

Well done - a great approach and I'm pleased you perservered and got there in the end!

James

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back