Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.. Chocolate engine King now?

I like the 997. However, Is it now time to hand the Crown over from the 21yo classic status 996, for the most currently chocolatey Porsche engine?

With many leapfrogging the leper 996 for the 'better' 997. Is it time to accept the 996 was just one of many great 911's along the timeline with mechanical quirks, the 997 being the latest..

Whoa there Leslie. The 996 had it's faults, some were caried over to the 997, some were worse on the 997. I like to think that that we are a big family of watercooled 911s sharing our faults from d-chunking and IMS bearing failure through to bore scoring without any real finger pointing. They are somewhat equally *****, just in different ways. We just have to look up to the Mezger boys. That said I would still take an early 996 3.4l over a 997.1 any day.

MC

2K said:
I like the 997. However, Is it now time to hand the Crown over from the 21yo classic status 996, for the most currently chocolatey Porsche engine?

With many leapfrogging the leper 996 for the 'better' 997. Is it time to accept the 996 was just one of many great 911's along the timeline with mechanical quirks, the 997 being the latest..

I know which I'd rather be in, and it ain't the leper, as you describe it.

'Hmmm, think I'll chop my 997 in for a 996' Said no one. Ever....

Its noticable that over the past few years attitudes have softened about the 996 and 997 engines and owners are becoming more accepting that we are going to have to look after these cars like the aircooled guys do and should it need a rebuild then just get on with it as part of owning an ageing 911. You rarely hear aircooled guys getting upset at having to rebuild engines or respray cars its just part of owning an ageing icon. I think people who saw these cars as cheap 911s stretched themselves to get into one and didnt consider the running costs of a 15/20 yrs old high performance sports car have learnt and moved on in the whole. We are a little isolated and if we took the time to read forums of other similar performance cars that are nearing 20 yrs old we would see a similar story of rebuilds and repaints and those that dont make icon status we dont hear about as they are already at the scrap yard . :thumb: :thumb:

ragpicker said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
'Hmmm, think I'll chop my 997 in for a 996' Said no one. Ever....

Not true. There are people on this very forum who have done exactly that.

How come I knew that was coming :roll:

I would like to hear GMG mk2's opinion please :judge:

:grin:

...GMG Numero Uno says that all 996/997 engines are made of chocolate and melt at the merest hint of heat...

So the only solution is to buy my rebuilt beauty for the utterly bargain basement price of £23,500...

You have been warned!

GMG said:
...GMG Numero Uno says that all 996/997 engines are made of chocolate and melt at the merest hint of heat...

So the only solution is to buy my rebuilt beauty for the utterly bargain basement price of £23,500...

You have been warned!

:hand: ouch, a broad comment like that is likely to turn this thread into a heated debate culminating in the thread getting locked :grin: I must try not to be the last poster when it does as I seem to then get the blame for it getting locked :floor: :floor: out of curiosity does dark chocolate melt at the same temprature as milk chocolate :?: :dont know:

GMG said:

You have been warned!

:grin:

:thumb:

:dont know:

Attachments

• imagejpg1_2_661.jpg
    imagejpg1_2_661.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 3,198
Double post.

Notice the choc car is a 997 :grin:

I thought you might like that one gents... As Alex pointed out it is indeed a chocolate 997 :lol: If the engine is more Dairymilk than the 996, that's still open for debate.... although the 996 in old age does at least appear to be becoming more Bournville

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back