Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coffin arms and tuning forks done but do I need the.........

Grey996

Nurburgring
After fitting the lowering springs I took the car in for alignment but the garage said there was too much play in the bushings (125k miles on them) for him to do it properly and recommended new coffin arms and tuning forks.

I've fitted the fronts but when I've come to do the rears I've found that there's also the lower control arm with a locking plate kit on the end. My question is should I replace these as well while I'm at it or are these usually ok?

My other question is the guy recommended new bolt kits but at £95 plus vat for a pair that makes them very expensive bolts. As I'll need two sets that's quite a chunk of cash I could do without paying on top of everything else, what do people think?

Thanks

Simon

Attachments

• img_3066_951.jpg
    img_3066_951.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,677
You want to be changing the nuts and bolts yes. The bolts are the adjusters for the toe and camber and are only good for a few adjustments before they stretch.
That means firstly they can weaken and secondly you think they're tight but you've simply tightened the nut to the bottom of the thread on the bolt and in actual fact it's not properly tight. This means your adjustment un-adjusts itself which isn't good.

So yes they're another Porsche ripoff but essential when fitting new arms unfortunately.

Thanks Marky.

Does anyone know of any cheaper suppliers than Design911 at £95 a pair plus vat. I can't find any other uk sellers with them listed. Plus are they the same ones for the coffin arms as the lower control arm?

OPC are usually cheaper. Particularly if you can swing a 10% discount.
I never buy original parts without talking to my OPC, the pricing structure makes no sense, so no reason to guess if any item will be for peanuts or seem like robbery.

MC

Deffo check with opc, I have checked other suppliers for a list of parts then phoned opc and been pleasantly surprised and horrified on the same quote, but check if they are quoting with or without VAT

Thanks both, the supplier I've used for the other bits has said he can only get them from Porsche so i'll give them a ring on Monday, fingers crossed!

I paid £31 for 2 eccentric bolts, washers & nuts from my local OPC recently using the PCGB10 discount.

You don't need to be a pcgb member to get 10% discount.

Just ask for the porsche classic discount. Wilmslow told me about this.

I paid £15 for the bolts for OPC! don't go on design911, they rip you off.

There is a bolt with eccentric head, an eccentric washer and a nut.

You just need the bolt and nut really, the washer can be reused.

You will defo need the bolts, they will need cutting off.

The rear upper arms are known as dogbones. If you are doing all the rest.... may as well.....where do you stop.

Those will undo fine so no bolt problems.

£65 each for Meyle brand https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/porsc...-links-control-arm-trailing-link-diagonal-arm

Thanks all, yes sounds promising about the bolts, they're getting cheaper each post 😂.

I'll order all the bits tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back