Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removal of light scratches

CK99Something

Firstly quick update on my ownership. Faffed for years looking at 996/997s, probably spending too much time looking at horror stories on forums. Finally got a 997 in 2013 and have loved it ever since. Never want to change it. No trouble with it and least depreciating car Ive ever had.

I have a light scratch right up the bonnet. Its so light that some wax covered it but its crept back. Im sure T cut will remove it but the last time I used T cut on a black BMW it left a mark so I clearly F'ed up somthing there.

I think the cloth may have been the culprit so the question is whats the best cloth to use with T cut or should I entrust it to a bodyshop?

A cloth isn't the right thing for polishing. Cloth for buffing, foam for polishing.

Scratches can be difficult to remove by hand unless the paint is soft, ideally it would be machine polished. It's worth trying a foam pad by hand with a compound like Gtechniq P1 or Maguiars Ultimate Compound.

Failing that, a detailer will sort a light scratch for you - you won't need a bodyshop unless it's so deep it's gone through the clear coat.

Try using polish rather than T Cut. A good microfibre cloth should be good enough, you may need to go over it more than once but light pressure is key. This has been adequate for me in the past. Obviously it depends on how "light" the scratch actually is.

there. are a number of products that when applied will fill the scratches and reflect the paint colour so hide any scratches , other option would be to get a DA polisher from what the guys that use them say its very hard to damage paint with them , try sending a PM to carrara monkey or KJD as they are my go to guys when it comes to polishing these cars and they should be able to advise on tools , products etc and what to avoid doing or buying :thumb: :thumb:

You would have to be a complete muppet to damage the paint with a DA polisher. When i got mine I tried to damage the paint on a scrap panel. I gave up when I got bored.

MC

+1 on the dual action polisher, easy to use, and you'd have the polisher to do the whole car. Re the scratch an agressive pad with a heavy cut compound will sort that easily :thumb:

Dunno how you got on with this, but fresh in my mind after detailing my daily driver recently.

For deeper scratches, polishing by hand means you can be much more precise about where you apply pressure, and how much. You are removing clearcoat/paint, and it is better in my view to remove only as much as you need to.

Work on the scratch using something like ScratchX or if you need a bit more cut, Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Neither are too aggressive that you will cause damage quickly. Expect to work on it for a while, be patient and check how you are getting on regularly.

You will be able to produce pressure through your fingertips more precisely than you can with a DA.

But worth using a DA for general polishing... I use Chemical Guys VSS for freshening up swirled paint- works well, but does not make much impression on deeper scratches.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back