Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does your 996 "rock" on the handbrake a little?

wasz

Paul Ricard
When you stick the handbrake on my car on a hill, it rocks slightly forwards. It is secure and has passed MOTs like this.

Its always done this, I never thought anything of it as I've had other cars do it.

I took it for laser alignment check after fitting new tyres, just at a normal tyre place, and they drove it onto some "cups" that the wheels sit on. The cups let the wheels move around a bit whilst they adjust the geo.

The car wouldn't sit still on the cups - this slight "rocking" meant it would drop off the cups.

Last place I had it aligned had the hunter system, I think that used flat plates rather than cups.

Does yours rock slightly on the handbrake? Mine did have new shoes this year.

It's you brake shoes moving backwards and forwards. The have some play in the position they sit in. You apply the handbrake, they lock to the inside of the disc bell and then they move from their natural seated position until they lock up against other internal parts.

When a geometry check/adjust is done you should use a brake depressor .. basically it presses the brake pedal and stops any movement.

Handbrake as Alex has said will allow a small amount of rock .

Ok thanks I thought it was normal.

It ain't going anywhere with the handbrake on, it just rocks a little when applied and then foot off the brake.

The tyre place was making out like my car was dangerous, said it would fail an MOT. Except its always done it and never had an advisory. They did offer to "book it n and sort it" which is when my "being taken for a mug" senses started tingling. Strange they didn't just do the check and charge me for it too in that case.

I don't even think it even needs another alignment but it doesn't hurt to check when fitting tyres. I will go somewhere that knows what they are doing then, so hard to find somewhere local thats actually competent and has decent kit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back