Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

30 years waiting..

Milo72

As a 10 year old my dream car was the 911 Cabriolet... After many bumps along the way that 10 year old picked up his dream car at the weekend, it's only taken 30 years to achieve.

I don't mind admitting I was a little emotional driving away in MY car (2005 C2 Cab Tip) as I had always said the first Porsche I drive will be my own car.

I'm sure the car isn't everyone's choice but it's the one I always wanted and I can't stop standing at the living room window and looking out at her.

And after lurking on this site for many years, I can now ask valid questions and engage with some real understanding... and there are lots of questions.

But for now i'm just going to enjoy the moment and continue to wear out the carpet where I'm stood just looking and smiling :)

Nice. Similar story with me only it took a little longer :thumbs:

Any pictures?

:useless: :grin:

Just like reading my own story! When it's taken this long to see a dream come true, only you can understand why your car is the perfect one.

If anything I think you made a great choice, the purest models with the classic 911 shape look the best, and bonus points for getting a cabriolet! Enjoy :)

:welcome:

and :congrats:

Any plans for her...apart from driving her of course :grin:

:thumb:

Thank you all.... on an iPhone but hopefully I can add a photo here.

The first one is from the advert and the second after her long drive home.

HSC912 - Plans... i'm not sure, I've had my nose on every Porsche website since Sunday looking at bits and pieces. It needs new rear discs soon and front tyres so will get that sorted first. Which opens lots of questions of what to go for. I'm an enthusiastic mechanic and the discs look like they are within my capability.

Also with the poor weather I want to get an outdoor cover, sadly my other car is currently in the garage.. it's not going to be a garage Queen, but also not going to get covered in bird s**t

As for the driving... at every opportunity, I even contemplated pouring all the milk down the drain so I had to go and get some more 😀😀

Attachments

• d1cdf647_e033_40b0_9c72_edaff24203fb_637.jpeg
    d1cdf647_e033_40b0_9c72_edaff24203fb_637.jpeg
    509.9 KB · Views: 2,660
  • dc34cfca_e134_4bdb_91f4_d712156897ab_119.jpeg
    dc34cfca_e134_4bdb_91f4_d712156897ab_119.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,660
Nice one, again a similar story to mine, told myself I'd have one by the time I was 40 and just about managed it, it is an emotional thing realising that dream. Months on, and I'm still in awe of it sat on my drive and I enjoy every second of being in it.

Health to enjoy!

Sometimes we all need to take a moment to enjoy the moment. Maybe you just need a day off and the time to drive to North Wales or wherever for some seat time on some decent and quiet roads.

That's a very good point MaxA; around here on the busy streets of Hampshire you can easily forget what an open road looks like. I should probably make more time to enjoy driving for the sheer pleasure of it, even if that means a bit of travelling to find the right roads.

Counter Of Beans said:
That's a very good point MaxA; around here on the busy streets of Hampshire you can easily forget what an open road looks like. I should probably make more time to enjoy driving for the sheer pleasure of it, even if that means a bit of travelling to find the right roads.

Thanks. There are some great roads in Hampshire as I recall. The alternative is to get up very very early and hope that you don't come across a late night/early morning taxi, milk lorry or a selection of the local fauna on the roads.

:welcome:

Glad to hear you have realised your dream and your car is looking lovely BTW . Its also nice to hear that you don't mind picking up the spanners as its been one of the best way i have have got to know my car and the way its been put together.

The brakes on the 997 are one of the easiest i have ever changed in my limited experience so you should be fine with that if you are handy with the spanners, you just need to decide if you are in the strictly OEM camp buying all parts from OPC or whether you dont mind using alternative OE quality alternatives such as Textar or Pagid. Good places to buy are Autodoc, Euro Car part or Car parts 4 less just check which one has the best deal at the time. :thumbs:

Congratulations and welcome.

I still have to look back after I've parked up, over 3 years into ownership.

Go for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres on the front. If you drive enthusiastically you'll be able to get matching rears soon enough.

I also recommend CAT driver training when winter has passed, you'll be able to explore the full capability of the car in a safe environment. Grip limits are incredible, and the feeling when the car is planted through a fast corner, perfectly balanced and accelerating out is second to none!

:thumb:

As the others have said , great job to finally achieve the dream , like many of us the marque was the same as on the schoolboy dream list but the varient has updated a few times lol.
You will find yourself as you walk away turning back to look at it , its not odd or wierd its quite normal for a 911 owner to do :grin: afterall you are looking back at a shape thats not changed much in half a century and during that time has always been in the top few worlds most desired cars and the one your looking back at is YOU one :thumb: :thumb:

:welcome: to 911uk and to 911 ownership Milo :thumb:

It's 31 years since I picked up my first Porsche so I only vaguely remember what you're feeling now. :)

That said, as I only had that first one for 6 months, I did get to relive it all 9 years ago when I picked up my second one after a 22 year wait.

Enjoy the feeling for as long as you can and, when it starts to wane, start saving for your second one. Your 911 experience has only just started. :grin:

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the advice so far.... it will be great to talk like minded people as the Mrs is already getting bored.

And I apologise in advance if over the next few days there are lots of different questions.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back