Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS bearing advice 2006 Carrera S

Ross997

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 2006 car here in Bahrain. It's only done 50k miles and been meticulously maintained with oil changes every 2-3k miles .

Am I right in saying 2006 cars had stronger bearing and failure rate is relatively rare?. Anything to look out for? the exhaust tips are free of black residue and no ticking on tick over .

Regards

...from what I have read the 3.8s had issues (common) with bore scoring? Rather than IMS related problems??

Someone from this forum recently commented that he had 5 mates with 997s (3.8s ?) and they all required engine rebuilds?

Ticking and black exhaust tips are signs of bore scoring.

IMS bearing failure is extremely rare on any 911 variants and virtually non existent on yours......forget about it and worry about bore scoring instead :thumbs:

Thanks. Sound advice . So symptoms of bore scoring are ticking and black residue on pipes?.

Yes. Go on youtube for some good (bad) examples.

There are a fair few people on here that have reported IMS failure from around 70k+ miles.

Although larger bearings are much stronger, if originally fitted they will still have the seals on them.

Not convinced it should be written off as a "don't worry about it".

Poker2009 said:
There are a fair few people on here that have reported IMS failure from around 70k miles

:?:

Really?

I think I can recall about 2 in 4.5 years.

...My recent rebuild includes the latest IMS shaft,bearing and front cover plate available from Porsche thus hope this version isn't as fragile!

alex yates said:
Poker2009 said:
There are a fair few people on here that have reported IMS failure from around 70k miles

:?:

Really?

I think I can recall about 2 in 4.5 years.

Here is one (GMG) out of your two in the last four years - there are certainly more.

GMG - I am not sure what front cover plate is, but if it were rebuilt at Hartech, they would have taken off the outer seal (maybe inner also, I am not sure) of the bearing, AFAIK.

My car has the smaller version bearing, but I had the outer seal removed at clutch change (40k miles). I am almost at 60k miles now, if it survives 80-90k miles, I will consider a Hartech rebuild then, as other parts in the engine will be worn also. If I decide to get a new car, I will just sell for whatever it is worth.

His bearing didn't fail. The IMS stud snapped. Bearing was fine.

Yes agreed, but the Op's concern is about bearings & bearing failures.

GMG's fault could've been down to an over torqued nut or mis-aligned cover plate. It would've been nice for GMG to give us a bit more information on what happened instead of ranting and taving at anyone who questioned the fault.

Right. Everyone stop right there.

IMS can be an issue on cars made before late 2005, but some early 2006 cars can also have the old one. It was changed in manufacture in late 2005, but obviously some cars are only registered into 2006. I have seen a March 2006 car with the old one. it isn't about reg date, it is about a range of engine numbers. Get the engine number, see which it has. Also, a huge amount of cars which had the old one will of had the new one fitted, it's not a hard job when doing a clutch change. Yes, it is a serious problem, it seems to go bang without warning and will pretty much destroy an engine and need a full rebuild. Don't let that put you off though, very very few problems have been reported with the newer on.

Now lets move on to the "advice" above about bore scoring. Black exhaust tips DO NOT mean it has bore score. One side being black can mean bore score, if you see that, get it checked. However, both is really not a sign of that. Mine had it recently, I noticed, Indy noticed, he wasn't worried, and it was simply traced back to the oil separator needing replacement. Done that, everything fine again.

Now ticking, these engines make noise, especially when cold, can't really see it means anything.

Check the oil all the time, keep it topped up, don't thrash it before you warm the oil up, enjoy the car. Great cars, much maligned by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Anyone saying they know 5 mates who all had engine rebuilds is talking out of their arse, and if anyone says the words "common" or "chocolate engine", laugh and stop talking to them.

Come and ask the knowledgeable people on here and not the trolls.......

I thought the later bearing could only be fit by splitting the crankcase and also modifying the shaft as it's a much bigger diameter and doesn't fit through the crankcase aperture? :dont know:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back