Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear subframe crossbrace

Nipper620

Decided to remove the wheels today o clean the back and noticed the cross brace rods from the hub to the subframe have heavy corrosion. Any one knows where I can get a replacement or do I need to go to a main dealer.

Attachments

• ddc6acb6_8db8_43c8_9da5_fe94293597d3_157.jpeg
    ddc6acb6_8db8_43c8_9da5_fe94293597d3_157.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,337
They are bad and will probably need replacing, I would probably get a pair of good used ones and get them powder coated for price reasons, new ones are around £130 each.

Also your alloy cross brace, is it meant to be bent like that, mine is dead straight on my 3.6 facelift car, unsure what model yours is?

It's a 2002 C4 cab, the other side has actually got a hole right through. It only passed its MOT 2 months ago which made me wonder what else they over looked. The alloy cross brace is the same shape both sides so I don't think it's been bent but whether it's supposed to be like that I don't know.

I replaced mine with new ones from Porsche this summer. They rot from the outside in as well as the inside out, so I wouldn't bother with second hand ones. Easy to change. And they do hold your subframe on place!!! Make sure you change the rubber grommets on them too. The part is a 997 number as there are more drain holes than the 996 original part

Demort pointed out that your aluminum cross brace looks bent and it doesn't seem right to me. It should be straight - yours looks bent or distorted.

See photo of old versus new

Attachments

• 8a501287_a9e6_4c5c_9e24_6dc3a6e2d17c_212.jpeg
    8a501287_a9e6_4c5c_9e24_6dc3a6e2d17c_212.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 3,101
When I replaced the front ones on my C2 they were showing signs of rust when I picked them up from Porsche, not a good start. Don't just assume you can fit and forget.
MC

If the cross braces are holed like that, whip the plastic spats off the rear edge of the sills/arch and have a good clean up / repaint of the sill end and jack point, peer into the sill cavities by removing the rubber grommets, and liberally spray with cavity wax.

These are rusting now, and a clean up here might save you from getting the welder out in the next couple of years.

wasz said:
If the cross braces are holed like that, whip the plastic spats off the rear edge of the sills/arch and have a good clean up / repaint of the sill end and jack point, peer into the sill cavities by removing the rubber grommets, and liberally spray with cavity wax.

These are rusting now, and a clean up here might save you from getting the welder out in the next couple of years.

:yeah:

I had to clean up my sills in conjunction with replacing my braces as like Wasz suggests, the condition of the original braces will give an indication of what the sills will have been exposed to.

Two new ones ordered should be here tomorrow, will check out the sill area when I take the old ones off as the car was laid up for 4 years early 2010 and only covered 200 miles until this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back