Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PROJECT HALF A CUP LS3 Swap?

JayG60

First of all, hello to all of you. I have loitered around on here a bit when I had a 964 (10 years ago) then a 996 a couple of years ago, but I am now properly getting into Porsche ownership again before I am 40 how I have always really wanted to.
That means with a proper project that will totally consume me and I am sure will mean I need lots of information and assistance from you lovely people.
I have massively missed the car scene over the last few years and am excited to be back in it with my new project.

So here it is. A 997 C2S, 2005 in Seal Grey (for now).
Plan is to build (as the thread title suggests) a nod to a Porsche Cup 997, but for the road.
The start point for this is the car comes with an engine already in need of help. Having scoured the web for a suitably poorly car to start from I finally found this gem. Engine blown but otherwise exceptional condition and a great spec for the project.
No sunroof, no wiper, a few nice bits to sell on (Nav, Black leather Sports seats, 19" Lobsters etc..)
So far it has just been a case of getting her in the garage, tidying up and getting the engine on the stand to have a proper look. More will follow but here are a few pictures to give you some idea.

Cheers

Jay

Attachments

• e000a316_b4cb_42af_85c1_0ab801f38107_479.jpeg
    e000a316_b4cb_42af_85c1_0ab801f38107_479.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 6,335
  • bd1238a8_5f53_4d45_a08d_7b8776f0aba3_111.jpeg
    bd1238a8_5f53_4d45_a08d_7b8776f0aba3_111.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 6,335
Some more

Attachments

• 4950769d_e0a3_413c_9c5f_dd4c45e37b2e_181.jpeg
    4950769d_e0a3_413c_9c5f_dd4c45e37b2e_181.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6,294
I will keep an eye on this as I am very interested to see how you get on.

Are you going to source a Mezger engine or is this more of a visual transition ie lose some weight and tune the existing engine??

Pip
Ps where in England are you?

Welcome back!

Nice plate on the car, and the bodywork looks good too.

Project sounds very interesting.

I may be interested in the seats.... :)

Wish my garage was that tidy and clean!

James

More interested in losing weight and improving chassis dynamics than gaining power first. I want the car to sit right, corner right and feel right before I up the BHP too much.
Planning on dropping as much weight as I can without completely losing daily drivability. My threshold is probably much higher than most of what is considered daily drivability too. :D

Unfortunately the plate doesn't stay with the car :nooo:

The garage has been put together over the last couple of years in preparation for this project.

Oh and I am in Cheshire by the way

Jay, this is my sort of thread, looking forward to seeing what you do and how you overcome things like "do I have a fuel filler in middle of the bonnet or do I keep it on the wing " :thumb: :stay: :stay:

Hope it's entertaining Phil. Probably keep the filler in the wing, but want to go carbon or fibreglass bonnet to keep weight down.

This has the potential to be really interesting. For what it's worth, I think you're heading in the right direction, focusing on weight, stopping and cornering.

I'd be interested in what you have in mind: are you stripping the interior, seal sealant, stripping the harness, and adding a MOMO, buckets, cage and harnesses, or somewhere in between? What about the exterior panels? Windows? Rose jointed suspension parts? Do you have a target weight? Are you going to need silicon ear plugs?

I'm really not trying to be provocative but I'm really curious about where you are willing to go in order to still keep it "drivable" (ie road legal and number plated)? And final question: do you intend to track the car at the end of this, or keep it 'fast road'? :grin:

Assuming from your username you're the same Jay from the Corrado Forum that built the Corrado with Audi dash etc years ago, this'll be one to watch!

Robert SausageTrousers said:
Assuming from your username you're the same Jay from the Corrado Forum that built the Corrado with Audi dash etc years ago, this'll be one to watch!

Was just going to say the same, Mr Renshaw?

Good luck. Im back with C2 996 after a last foray into Corrado's.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

And of course, as we all know, it's going to end up a lot better, a lot more extreme and be a lot bigger job than you intended.

Good luck.

Off to search the Corrado forum now....

There are a few whom have done/are doing a similar thing with 996's, given the platforms are very similar there are informative threads on the 996 board that are worth a visit for research/inspiration.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back