Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 87
996 : 1997-2005 43
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

911livin
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ireid wrote:
Even a few of the 993 fans here have said they are not suitable as a daily driver. I'm interested to know whether they would revise that opinion in the case of a resto mod 993? Would the modernifications (see what I did there) deal with whatever issues that prompt the comments about not being suitable for daily use? I ask because I'm thinking of going the resto mod route and it would be my daily driver . . . .

My 993 is a daily driver, in fact the more a car is used the better it is and Im sure we ALL agree on this: I drove to Barcelona and back with no issues

I want to know what other 993 owners think is not suitable about daily driving? Its my choice but I have racing ride height and track tyers so not as smooth on road as it was but I love it.

ollster
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ireid wrote:
Even a few of the 993 fans here have said they are not suitable as a daily driver. I'm interested to know whether they would revise that opinion in the case of a resto mod 993? Would the modernifications (see what I did there) deal with whatever issues that prompt the comments about not being suitable for daily use? I ask because I'm thinking of going the resto mod route and it would be my daily driver . . . .

You could drive a 993 every day of your life if you wanted and it would probably last longer than most cars. Hell I was driving a mk2 polo gt breadvan as a daily up until a few years ago which was a hoot.

They have just got to a price point where people use them as special occasion cars and modern cars basically drive themselves which is better suited to modern traffic and most peoples requirements for a daily.

Last edited by ollster on Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total

ireid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could drive a 993 every day of your life if you wanted and it would probably last longer than most cars. Hell I was driving a mk2 polo gt breadvan as a daily up until a few years ago which was a hoot.

They have just got to a price poin where people use them as special occasion cars and modern cars basically drive themselves which is better suited to modern traffic and most peoples requirements for a daily.[/quote]

Personally I can't see the point of owing a car you love to drive and not driving it as often as you can. The fact a resto mod will cost a shed load doesn't change that, in fact it would make it all the more reason to make use of it.

I should add that daily driver is a tad misleading in my case as I'm largely retired and I'd be using it for going to the squash club, shopping, visiting friends and miscellaneous other leisure trips. Probably less than 3k miles per annum.

ollster
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ireid wrote:

They have just got to a price poin where people use them as special occasion cars and modern cars basically drive themselves which is better suited to modern traffic and most peoples requirements for a daily.

Personally I can't see the point of owing a car you love to drive and not driving it as often as you can. The fact a resto mod will cost a shed load doesn't change that, in fact it would make it all the more reason to make use of it.

I should add that daily driver is a tad misleading in my case as I'm largely retired and I'd be using it for going to the squash club, shopping, visiting friends and miscellaneous other leisure trips. Probably less than 3k miles per annum.

You can have an older car which you adore and love driving but is pretty poor in comparison to modern stuff in city center stop start traffic which is my daily commute. That’s my reason for having 2 cars...

ireid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ollster wrote:
ireid wrote:

They have just got to a price poin where people use them as special occasion cars and modern cars basically drive themselves which is better suited to modern traffic and most peoples requirements for a daily.

You can have an older car which you adore and love driving but is pretty poor in comparison to modern stuff in city center stop start traffic which is my daily commute. That’s my reason for having 2 cars...

Yes I get that, hence my explanation about only using it for leisure. PDK certainly takes away some of the pain of driving in stop start traffic

benbuhagiar
Spa-Francorchamps

2008 Porsche 997 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a few years from now, there will be a similar thread to this labbeled “992 to 997”.

stichill99
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: 5 years Missing Reply with quote

Zingers, This is the car with the black interior with 5 years of stamps missing! Amazingly it made round the Lake District without breaking down!

LD2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.62 KB
 Viewed:  1279 Time(s)

LD2.jpg

nickpan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich_r wrote:
Whoosh... wasn't expecting this much response when I looked today Typing

Interesting thoughts on both sides of the fence, chaps.

I've been looking at LHD cars as well (since my 997 is a lefty), which of course opens up my market into the continent etc. It wouldn't be a daily neither.

I’ve PM’d you.

Rich_r
Trainee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickpan wrote:

I’ve PM’d you.

Replied.

highway
Albert Park

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ‘could’ ride a BMX to work everyday. Doesn’t mean you should or it’s a good idea. I owned my 993 longer than I’ve owned anything and sold earlier this year. They are beautiful looking cars. They sound and feel special. You can go a long time before seeing another on the road and they engender warmth and questions from other people.

I owned mine at the same time as an S1 Elise which, for a drive that didn’t feature motorways, was a better drivers car IMHO. You can spend far less than 993 money to be in something more fun to drive. This point crystallised for me when OPC loaned me a 981 Black Edition whilst my 993 was being serviced a few years ago. I posted about it here at the time.

As in life it is with cars. Looks go a long way. 993 better looking than all the others including early stuff and 964. All my opinion. Others may have a differing view.

ireid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highway wrote:
You ‘could’ ride a BMX to work everyday. Doesn’t mean you should or it’s a good idea. I owned my 993 longer than I’ve owned anything and sold earlier this year. They are beautiful looking cars. They sound and feel special. You can go a long time before seeing another on the road and they engender warmth and questions from other people.

I owned mine at the same time as an S1 Elise which, for a drive that didn’t feature motorways, was a better drivers car IMHO. You can spend far less than 993 money to be in something more fun to drive. This point crystallised for me when OPC loaned me a 981 Black Edition whilst my 993 was being serviced a few years ago. I posted about it here at the time.

As in life it is with cars. Looks go a long way. 993 better looking than all the others including early stuff and 964. All my opinion. Others may have a differing view.

As the owner of a 981 GTS who is considering getting a resto modded 993, that's giving me pause for thought . . . .

pierrebear
Monza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ireid- I drive mine every day. Horses for courses. I think you’d be fine with a 993! Thumb

highway
Albert Park

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When people talk about driving a 993 everyday you have to question where they live. If you are lucky enough to live in the arse end of nowhere, then I can see it may be viable. If you live, as I do, 10 miles south of Hyde Park in London, the last thing you’d want to be in everyday is a 993.

They can cope with stop start traffic in the same way I could lay face down and have my undercarriage waxed. It’s doable, but you wouldn’t enjoy it and would question why ever you agreed to it.

If you roll off your driveway and onto the uncluttered roads that pave the way to Mordor then enjoy, you are clearly winning.

ireid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highway wrote:
When people talk about driving a 993 everyday you have to question where they live. If you are lucky enough to live in the arse end of nowhere, then I can see it may be viable. If you live, as I do, 10 miles south of Hyde Park in London, the last thing you’d want to be in everyday is a 993.

They can cope with stop start traffic in the same way I could lay face down and have my undercarriage waxed. It’s doable, but you wouldn’t enjoy it and would question why ever you agreed to it.

If you roll off your driveway and onto the uncluttered roads that pave the way to Mordor then enjoy, you are clearly winning.

Yeah it's grim up North. Very Happy

hot66
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highway wrote:
...993 better looking than all the others including early stuff and 964. All my opinion. Others may have a differing view.

you're blind ! Surprised Floor

Untitled by hot 66, on Flickr

1973 2.4S
1993 964 C2

gone :
1967 2.0 SWB 911
1995 993 C4 Cabrio
2003 996 Turbo DMS
2003 M3 CSL

DDK

tyinsky
Nürburgring

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. Did the AA take long to reach you?

cableguy
Kyalami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't a bad looking standard air-cooled 911. The earlier cars are stunning with their period details like opening front & rear quarters, narrow hips, horn vents etc. whereas IMO the 993 got it so right with the rear arches... it's all about the curves... Thumb

C.

HSC911
Zolder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyinsky wrote:
Beautiful. Did the AA take long to reach you?

Hand

Floor

hot66
Hockenheim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

1973 2.4S
1993 964 C2

gone :
1967 2.0 SWB 911
1995 993 C4 Cabrio
2003 996 Turbo DMS
2003 M3 CSL

DDK

david993
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 993 as a daily driver and covered 220k miles in 14 years. Every drive was an occasion and I could never tire of it. I don't understand the "993 for weekends" but I confess it was a bit noisy at constant motorway speeds. It's not great for passengers and my wife hates it.

I've driven 997s and obviously it's a better car in every measurable way. But for me the trade-off between mass-appeal refinement and quirky "character" means I'd take the relatively crude 993:
* it's tiny. It makes an Audi TT look huge
* the front wings - how expensive was it to press them from a single flat sheet of metal? With that attitude it's no wonder they almost went bust and had to resort to cost-cutting. Hence the 996 headlights and simpler pressings
* asymmetrical wing mirrors and offset pedals - who cares?
* the baritone hum when you turn the key in the ignition
* it looks so pretty but deceptively drives like "a man's car". Heavy steering at low speeds
* I can floor the accelerator once in a while
* even on motorways I rarely listen to music or the radio. The car is so involving
* during "progressive" driving, the tiptronic gearbox lets you left-foot brake and blip the throttle while changing down. Very satisfying and not a skill easily mastered with the slow tip buttons!
* so great around corners. No doubt the 997 has traction control and all that good stuff. But believe me (and I don't do the big talk) once you've mastered the ice hill at the Porsche Silverstone facility (a must-do if you drive a 993), you'll relish autumn and the exquisite gentle slide of rear/front/both tyres on slippery roundabouts. All done with your right foot.
Slate Grey 1994 C2 Tip with 262K miles. Love that car! And a Suzuki GSX-R750, ex 2011 ZX-10, 2009 R1, 2005 R1, 1997 Fireblade, RC30, 1970 CB750, and the love of my life - a 1964 Lambretta Li150! Where are you now? *sob*

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: