Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paintwork repair options

jerzybondov

Apologies if there are other threads on here about this - I tried a search but failed.

I was wondering what people's experiences are of localised paintwork repair of things like stone chips or parking dents?

There are plenty of well reviewed mobile services who'll come to you and repair, but I wasn't sure how good the blending was, and whether it makes a difference if it's on the bonnet/bumper or doors/side panels?

Basically the question is - do you live with the stone chips and other random scratches, or is it actually possible to sort them out without horrible blending issues that you're stuck with once done?

I've had a few such repairs carried out, albeit not on a Porsche. The results were fantastic, invisible as far as the eye could tell. The biggest factor in any local repair is the quality of the work whoever you trust with your car puts in. The quality and experience varies massively, I asked for recommendations on a forum and from friends which paid off. Whereabouts are you?

Blending depends on the base colour and how much the original colour has faded over time. Most places will much prefer to paint a full panel as a decent blend is often tricky but not impossible. A good machine polish will get most minor scratches out so you might not need as much paint as you thought.

I had a full makeover on mine recently which was pulling 3 carpark dings, repainting the front bumper, replacing the front screen and trim, full wheel refurb then a full machine polish. That was a grand and it's made a massive difference.

I've picked up a pretty nasty scratch/scuff from someone hitting the car in a car park

The car has a bunch of stone chips already, and I am really reluctant to get a proper respray as I use the car a lot and I know I'll be upset as soon as I get chipped again.

I contacted a couple of companies to try and get the scratch repaired, but didn't pull the trigger as none got back to me.

Would be interested to read what you decide to do!

s70rjw said:
I've had a few such repairs carried out, albeit not on a Porsche. The results were fantastic, invisible as far as the eye could tell. The biggest factor in any local repair is the quality of the work whoever you trust with your car puts in. The quality and experience varies massively, I asked for recommendations on a forum and from friends which paid off. Whereabouts are you?

This is kind of what I figured - you need to get someone who's good at it or you could end up in a hell of a mess. I'm based in London. Whereabouts was your guy based?

Interesting topic because I recently paid extra to have the work done at a Porsche approved body shop. Road and race Manchester.
I was very unhappy with the work done and contacted Porsche uk but there is no minimum standard and as the body shops are independent Porsche uk have very little control.

Wings were sprayed with liner not removed 😡

My advise find a body shop that you trust 👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back