Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fixes for Targa roof noises.

deMort

I was answering a pm and figured this might be usefull for anyone so a copy / paste from what i sent him ... its the same for 997.

Ok first one is the windows , these can cause a creaking type noise ..

Rain-X on a cloth , wipe it over the door seal were the window touches and leave to dry.

Do the same on the top 2 inches of the window were it will touch the seal .. again leave to dry .

Drop the roof glass and the very back seal on the roof .. either gummi fledge or gummi on a cloth and wipe it on .. you need it to be damp basically.

With the roof open then look at the wind deflector , there is a small bit of plastic the roof pushes on to close the deflector each side .. gummi on that.

Behind the deflector .. ie push it in by hand and you will see 3 plastic strips .. gummi on them .

Open the tailgate .. gummi the main seal .

Gummi the x2 rubbers that the lid touches either side of the lock.

Gummi the rear of the roof seal , you did the other side so this finishes it.

By the hinges there is a plastic bung .. well its kind of in the middle of the hinge .. a bit of gummi on that.

Creaks and rattles are more a garage job but one of the main places is the panel the sun visors fit on .. this has x4 metal clips to hold it in place .. they have felt tape over them to stop noises .. this can wear and cause a creak .. not easy to remove though .. many bits off first.

thanks for the info, I have had my 2002 targa for 2 weeks, I bought it having read so many posts of how people had sorted rattles and squeaks so wasnt put off by that but I am struggling to improve the situation at all!

So far I have put the "loop" side of velcro in the 4 corners of the frame, sprayed dry lube on all the "runners" and used 303 on all rubbers (i used gummipfledge first, didnt make any difference so tried 303).

I have removed the rear panel that covers the motors and have added some foam and that whole area now seems rattle free but everywhere else creaks / rattles - the sides of the frame, the panel where the sun blind is (although I just found that that just pulls off so might be easy to fix). I am thinking about putting low friction tape all round the inside of the frame to see if it does anything!

Current plan is to sort the stereo so I can stream music and just turn it right up!

I think the roof has been out before and put back without much budget to be honest!

Does anyone have links to any of the factory manuals so that if I do start removing trim I can do it with some diagrams in mind!?

Manuals are here .. body internal / external i think ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=83491

Post i made on whats in the roof is here ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116450

As for noises .. the tape we use is called Teflon tape .. not sure if its Porsche only but it looks like selotape !

i use Crytox for rubbers etc .. that is a Porsche rubber replinisher .. it makes the rubber soft basically ... gummi fledge will do similar but not as good .

Work you way through what i listed then let me know what noises you have left .

Im afraid these do make a few noises due to the design but normally 90 % of them can be fixed .

Thanks for the reply, I have some similar tape to use and some foam, yesterday was the first time I seem to have made things better!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back