Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dumb question sorry!

segart

Hi guys, can you tell me if the 997.2 c4s has the wider turbo body and suspension etc, as per the 996 c4s?
Cheers
Rick

Turbo body = yes definitely

Suspension etc = :dont know: sorry

Yes to body, but same suspension as 2wd as far as I know.

did you mean suspension or did you mean drive if its drive then yes the C4S has AWD the same as the Turbo and is a widebody the same as the Turbo . If you mean suspension eg ride hight then turbo is the same as the S which is 10mm lower than a non S. :thumb: Unless fitted with a Sport chassis in which case its another 10mm lower :grin: :thumb:

So just to be clear the c4s does have the wider turbo body, rides 10mm lower on turbo suspension. I presume it has Turbo brakes also?
Essentially a Turbo without the turbo motor (like the 996 c4s)?

Hi Rick,

As you know with the 996 series, there was an upgrade in brakes from the base Carrera to the C4S (there was no 996 C2S) - specifically to the brakes from the 996 Turbo.

The 997 series also had a similar upgrade from the base to the C2S/C4S. The 997 'S' brakes (both .1 and .2 generation) are very similar to your 996 C4S brakes. So they are in effect the same as the 996 Turbo brakes.

The base 997 Carrera also had an upgrade from the .1 to .2, but not quite to the levels of the S brakes.

997 Turbo brakes are a whole other step up again, with .2 being even bigger than the .1 versions. Anyone considering upgrading their 997 Carrera brakes to 997 Turbo/GT3 brakes should read this post...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-for...d-to-larger-350-mm-rotors-3.html#post13224670

On the suspension front, the 997 options were sliced differently than on the 996. It was more about the base setup vs. PASM on the S models, whether PASM was fitted as an option to the base models, the generation of PASM (.1 vs .2), whether Sports-PASM (a.k.a. SPASM) was fitted on .2 S models, and so on.

Here's an interesting 'walk around' of a 997 GTS suspension...

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/suspension-walkaround-2011-porsche-911-gts.html

Karl.

:floor: :floor: I never realised how hard it was to explain in writing the difference between various 997 versions and also when comparred to 996 versions , but a very good point raised about PASM on the 997 S cars :thumb:

Sheez. Thats cleared that up then. Thanks Karl. Thats as clear as mud! :what: but i think i have the gist of it. It seems that, given a fairly boggo standard 997.2 c4s, there is little of a step forward other than the aesthetics of a wider body. Unless specced up from there.
Thanks chaps
Atb rick

Assuming Rick you mean little step forward from a narrow body 997 C2S yes your right take a same spec 997.2 C2S and sit it next to a 997.2 C4S the only difference is a widebody which is to accomodate the all wheel drive. and the red band across the rear end. :thumb: :thumb: by jove I think we have cracked it :floor: :floor:

but I am not sure it should be described as a step forward as the C2S is a better driver focussed car the C4S is a better all year round car and many would say a bit better looking with its wide body. :thumb:

Thanks Phil and I get that now. I always liked the 4 wheel drive and wide stance of my 996 c4s (now sold) anf thought I might gravitate on to the 997 c4s, but will now include the C2S as a possible. Need to test drive some.
Many thanks
Rick

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back