Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fitting 986 near side front wing to 996?

youngsyr

Hi all, I've got a minor ding in the nearside wing of my 2001 996 Cab, the sort that you could easily live with, but irks you when you see it.

There are used 986 (2003) wings available on eBay for £106 delivered in my car's colour.

So, I'm just wondering, will it be cheaper to buy a used wing rather than getting the dent repaired?

Is getting the wing off and on tricky?

For what it's worth, my car is vinyl wrapped, so any cosmetic scratches in the used wing will be covered anyway.

Thanks for any advice offered! :)

One of those dent repair guys may be worth a call, but a new one for £100 then you can't go wrong IF it fits OK :dont know:

Show us your car with the wrap on it please 8)

:thumb:

youngsyr said:
Hi all, I've got a minor ding in the nearside wing of my 2001 996 Cab, the sort that you could easily live with, but irks you when you see it.

There are used 986 (2003) wings available on eBay for £106 delivered in my car's colour.

So, I'm just wondering, will it be cheaper to buy a used wing rather than getting the dent repaired?

Is getting the wing off and on tricky?

For what it's worth, my car is vinyl wrapped, so any cosmetic scratches in the used wing will be covered anyway.

Thanks for any advice offered! :)

Putting a (2003) 986 Boxster wing on a (2001) 996 Cab? Why?

Get the dent repaired or use a 996 wing.

You own a Porsche, do it properly or buy something cheaper if you can't afford it.

Why spend more money than you need just because you can afford it?

Is there even technically such a thing as a "996 wing"?

Why g7jhp? Becuase they are almost certainly identical parts. More to the point, why make such a needlessly sh1tty post?

To the OP: There is no reason why not on the face of it. Check the part numbers and see if they are the same (they may well be) and if they are then do it. If they aren't, then go ahead and buy the wing anyway and if it's not the right one then just bung it back on ebay. The wings are held on by a bunch of bolts, most of which are visible, but a fiew are trickier to find. Several formites have recently removed/replaced theirs, so should be able to tell you where to find them all. ELA and Mistercorn in particular. Good luck, I'm sure it will work out fine. :thumbs:

If it were me I would repair the existing wing, assuming that isn't too bad.
Come resale time a prospective buyer may be suspicious of why it needed a new panel.
I know that I would.

Its the same part, follow the link in my sig to see how easy it is to replace the wings (albeit on a boxster - which is identical to the 996 in every way from the doors forward).

Your issue will be that the paint will not match, even if it is the same colour. Sun and age fades the paint and so whilst it will look very similar it won't be a perfect match.

But yes, its not difficult and the parts are the same.

Thanks for all the replies.

I hadn't considered that the paint woudn't match my original colour due it fading at different rates. My panels are 17 years old now after all.

So, I think I'll just get the original one repaired (as long as they don't need to paint it).

Here's a pic of the wrapped car, for the person who asked:

AnuRQSA.jpg

Martin996RSR said:
Why g7jhp? Becuase they are almost certainly identical parts. More to the point, why make such a needlessly sh1tty post?

:yeah:

That reply reminds me of P'heads and we could do without this forum going down that route. Manners cost nothing, so maybe pause for reflection before posting the standard P'heads "It's a Porsche, so why try and find a more cost effective option" b*ll*cks.

As said OP, get a dent guy out for £30-£50. Way less hassle.

Raggy I'm guessing there's a prefix letter on there too. Hopefully it's an "A" then that's still a pretty good plate.

Cool colour OP, reminds me of Mr JWWs old GT3. Nice side stripe too, makes all the difference.

I read somewhere recently that the Boxster wing was slightly different - I think it is brackets on the inside or something.

Have a look at Mister Corns C4 thread to see what is involved in taking the wings off as he did it recently and posted lots of photos.

I would get some paintless dent removal done before taking a wing off. I have got great results on my Boxster and 911 with the paintless process. If you start taking wings off, nuts and clips will need to be replaced, the car is off the road and something will break. Sods law.

Best of luck

ragpicker said:
Is that the real numberplate? 996CAB?

If so thats one hell of a plate to have!

It has a prefix, but it's a good one (IMO), cost me peanuts on eBay as well. :grin:

Thanks for the compliments everyone, the blue hood and interior kind of limits your options and the side stripes were a bit of a gamble (you can't really tell in the pic, but they're the same colour as the hood), but I think it turned out great.

I'm not normally a fan of wraps or cabs, but I think you've made a great set of design choices there, it looks really good.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back