Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

When is it better to give up ?

davirus82

Trainee
Hi all, my car was taken to RSJ this week having been leaking oil like a tap. They think it will need an engine rebuild 8-10k worst case IMS :sad:

Car is in otherwise good condition i bought in 2015 (54 plate) from RSJ.

if it costs me £8-10k and the car is worth (around 20-25) is it worth it? any advice would be great.

Either way you are going to be out of pocket the cost of the rebuild. Whether that be the cost of it or trying to move it on for someone else to repair.
It's a case of which us the lesser of 2 evils. Sorry to hear mate and best of luck with your decision.

Sorry to hear your bad news, perhaps ask for other quotes from other companies on this Forum?

My father bought a 996 IMS failed car rebuild by Welsh Porsche and it has 150k on the clock now! He has around about 4-6 IMS rebuilds most weeks (02920 706 944) maybe worth a second opinion?

Either get rid now or put the money into it and keep it for a very long time :judge:

Just my opinion...there are others but mine is usually right :grin:

Good luck whatever you decide but think it over and listen to the advice on here :thumb:

Id say its time to give up when you have owned 8 Porsches and had to rebuild or replace 5 engines. ££££££

I need to share my man maths calculator with you .
car is worth 22/24k before the IMS popped. as often said these cars cost 2k pa to run ave maintaining bits so if you had kept it 4 yrs you would have expected to spend 8k on it in that time .

now you have a 10k rebuild, but if kept for 4 years with a rebuilt engine realistically the running cost ave should be more like 1k so you already have 4k of your 10k needed budget, a HARTECH Rebuilt 997.1 based on current prices are worth more like 28/29k this is 5k more than your car was currently worth pre the IMS issue. therefore you now have 9k of the rebuild budget.

only downside is you stuck driving a 911 for the next 4 years :grin: :grin:

So based on this calculation your no worse off in 4 years time than if you had not had the IMS pop and kept the car for 4 years .

that option versus the other option of sell the car now as a car with a blown engine for maybe 8k you lose 14/16k , for me its a no brainer which option to go with .

I hope my manmaths calculator has been of some use to you :thumb: :thumb:

In terms of money I doubt it makes much difference. You had a car which was worth £20k, you now have a car which is worth £10k. If you fix it it is worth £20k again. The only thing for certain is that you are out of pocket by £10k. Sorry to hear that, but it is an unfortunate risk in owning a 996/997. Personally, if I liked the car and wanted to keep it I woild see it as an opportunity for upgrades. I would rather spend £12k to get it back better than before than spend £10k to have it just the same.

MC

...when my ims end stud snapped off , destroying the shaft and sending swarf absolutely everywhere oil poured out as you describe...much too the irritation of the rescue company as litres of it ended up on their flatbed!

I am an having my engine completely rebuilt and then selling it as my confidence in the car and my frustration in the scrappy engineering and sheer bloody mindedness means that I just want to get rid and move on...

Very sorry for your loss and good luck with whatever you do however I think that you are probably best served by rebuilding and either keeping or moving it on...

Best wishes.

Get as many quotes as you can,,fix it ,, look after it,,,keep it

Phil 997 said:
car is worth 22/24k before the IMS popped. as often said these cars cost 2k pa to run ave maintaining bits so if you had kept it 4 yrs you would have expected to spend 8k on it in that time .

now you have a 10k rebuild, but if kept for 4 years with a rebuilt engine realistically the running cost ave should be more like 1k so you already have 4k of your 10k needed budget, a HARTECH Rebuilt 997.1 based on current prices are worth more like 28/29k this is 5k more than your car was currently worth pre the IMS issue. therefore you now have 9k of the rebuild budget.

So based on this calculation your no worse off in 4 years time than if you had not had the IMS pop and kept the car for 4 years .

that option versus the other option of sell the car now as a car with a blown engine for maybe 8k you lose 14/16k , for me its a no brainer which option to go with .

That was a mind f__k for me!!

J

davirus82 said:
Hi all, my car was taken to RSJ this week having been leaking oil like a tap. They think it will need an engine rebuild 8-10k worst case IMS :sad:

if it costs me £8-10k and the car is worth (around 20-25) is it worth it? any advice would be great.

cars with a fresh rebuild are trading at the higher estimate

davirus82 said:

There is a guy on pistonheads looking for a 911 needing engine work. His username is GraemeP. Hope that is of help?

-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

J

:grin: :grin: mate you need to get one of the limited edition man math calculators :grin: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
-- 997 -- said:
Phil 997 said:

J

:grin: :grin: mate you need to get one of the limited edition man math calculators :grin: :thumb:

Ill be looking out for one !!! 😁👍

J

Kettmark said:
davirus82 said:

There is a guy on pistonheads looking for a 911 needing engine work. His username is GraemeP. Hope that is of help?

heres that PH post (https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=230&t=1765492) I don't know if you need to be a PH member to view. its free tho like this excellent forum we have.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back