Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre wear record ?

deMort

Monaco
Car in for service today .. a 2008 plate Boxster , 29k on the clock ..

I checked the tread depths .. front 5 mm .. old and cracked .. Dot stamp .. 08 !!

So .. 29k and a bit miles .. half worn front tyres .. looking pretty old but seem to be original ..

Rears 10 / 11 and 4 mm.

Is it possible to wheely these cars as 30k and only half worn is a new one on me :D

Can Anyone beat that ?

Not tyres, but am currently on 127k miles on the original clutch on the Audi. Considering it's been driven by Mrs P 90% of the times, I'm not sure who I should be applauding, Audi or Mrs P :dont know:

I go through a set of rears every 12 months max. My front one's racked up 30k over 3 yrs 3 months and that was constantly giving them some hammer. Think they were made from Acetal or something similar :grin:

That's impressive and concerning in equal measures...10 year old tyres :eek:

Maybe they don't make them like the used to :D

There is the possibility the owner had a set of winter wheels......that did half that mileage.

That is possible .. but from the cracking they do look to me like the original tyres that have been well used .

Either way i showed everyone at work as ive never seen this before :D

New owner so i couldn,t ask him .

It would be interesting to know what tyres they were?

There is another possibility. Way back in my first couple of years of 996 GT3 ownership I ran Michelin PS2s, and once you have put a couple of track days worth of heat cycles through them they basically bake in quite hard and really don't wear much at all under road use. They don't really grip terribly well after a moderate amount of track use either so I used to bin them for the effect of heat cycles on them long before they actually wore out from mileage.

The chap may have had a different set of alloys on the car at some point :dont know:

:thumb:

lol .. no it wasnt pink .

Tyres were / are Bridgstone N1 i belive .. might be N0 .. ive seen "several " tyres since then and have forgotten :p

The car has been a garage queen for many years .. over revs are non existent.

I've only put 3 sets of fronts on my 996 in 110k miles... so 4 sets including the relatively new ones that were on when I bought it. Current MPS2's are still looking good.

Rears are a different story!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back