Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 turbo S - am I mad?

docdale

Hi

New to the board but looking for a bit of advice (or hand-holding!) when it comes to a porsche 997 turbo.

I was initially looking for a nice 997 turbo manual (Gen 1 or 1.5) due to appeal of engine, manual box, rarity and hopefully a safe place to put my money. The more I have been looking, the more the price seems to go higher for a nice car, especially if you add in warranty. I don't think I would feel happy without a warranty due to potential costs even though the cars are pretty bulletproof. This also narrows the search to reputable companies like 911 virgin, RPM, JZM etc.

The other issue is that I live in the midlands (Stourbridge) so all in-house warranties are not that useful as most of these sellers are 100+miles away.

This then led me to up the budget and look at 997 turbo S's which could come from OPC's so have 2yrs warranty and due to limited numbers would seemingly be a good place to put my money as depreciation seems very slow. I would be happy with PDK as had a few fast cars with good autos (M3, M5, E63 etc)

The car will be a toy and hence would like it to be as 'special' as possible and hopefully I can do 3k miles per year to make owning it worth it.

Is spending £90k on a turbo S madness when I can get a nice 997 gen 1 (or ideally 1.5) for £20-30k less??

The man maths is pushing me to the Turbo S but its a lot of money to part with!!

Any help much appreciated!

Nope they're great, found it very difficult to replace when I bought a replacement recently..

997 Turbos S is pdk only, but that really is the right gearbox for one. There was another thread with the same question earlier this year I think. Will see if I can find it for you.

docdale said:
The car will be a toy and hence would like it to be as 'special' as possible and hopefully I can do 3k miles per year to make owning it worth it.

Is spending £90k on a turbo S madness when I can get a nice 997 gen 1 (or ideally 1.5) for £20-30k less??

Or £40k less

See => 997.1 Turbo with 17 months OPC Warranty for £49,995

If you're not averse to an automatic even the Tiptronic box is great in a Turbo.

ps. :welcome: to 911uk

The 997 Turbo S is Epic ..... performance that can change conception of fast at a tweak of the right foot ...

If you ar3 already thinking along these lines I would say jus5 go try one or two to get a feel for the extra performance in the S ......

They really are special cars ...I would venture to say worth 90k all day long if you get a good one ...

The PDK box transforms the Turbo performance, night and day above the tiptronic ...

Try one and you will probably buy one ... so it's in your hands ...

T

Best first post ever :grin:

Buy it and whack up some pictures will you :wack:

:thumb:

Docdale go try one!

Welcome, this is a great place to share your Porsche experience!

I've got a tip 1.5 turbo and I love it, I darent try a pdk!!

silvermilnec said:
Docdale go try one!

Try one ...and buy one .....
You know you want to !.......

T

If I was spending 90k I would certainly be looking at GT3s as well as turbos . you really need to try both before deciding, both lovely and both very exciting but in slightly different ways . :thumb:

911TEL said:
silvermilnec said:
Docdale go try one!

Try one ...and buy one .....
You know you want to !.......

T
I feel so fortunate to own this one! Maybe one day

:thumb:

Phil 997 said:
If I was spending 90k I would certainly be looking at GT3s as well as turbos . you really need to try both before deciding, both lovely and both very exciting but in slightly different ways . :thumb:

I'd also be thinking that I could get a 991 Turbo for that sort of money...

Thanks for the input. Certainly no one saying Turbo S is a bad idea!!

991 - worried that values have a long way to fall, especially as I have read not as limited numbers

GT3 - although nice, I really want occasional seats so can enjoy the car with the kids

My biggest worry I think is really whether to spend (well, borrow!) the extra 20-30-40k on top of a nice Gen 1 or 1.5 manual. I think both will hold value quite well perhaps the Gen 1 or 1.5 even better. On reading so far, the Gen 1.5 manual seems a very safe place to put my money, although limited numbers means the starting prices are higher!

Although 'money isn't everything' I want to buy sensibly to make sure there is always money in the pot for future toys!

docdale said:
My biggest worry I think is really whether to spend (well, borrow!) the extra 20-30-40k on top of a nice Gen 1 or 1.5 manual.

Surely if you're needing to borrow that sort of extra cash to buy a more expensive car you'll be losing out financially in the long term. :dont know:

The best advice I've ever been given on here is go and drive them before even starting to make your mind up. I've got a Gen 1 with a 'tip box, and have also driven a couple of Boxster S's with PDK, and I would imagine that the difference in the gearbox will be the biggest difference between the two cars.

The 'tip box isn't for everyone, and I know which of the two I would have if money wasn't an issue, but it has to be a choice made when you've driven both.

Good luck :thumb:

The Turbo S is a great car, I have had mine 16 mnts and although I have only driven it approx 1600 miles have loved every one and as it stands consider it a keeper.

Like you I wanted rear seats.... well seat belts, I have removed the seats and replaced them with the kids car seats. The 991 does not appeal as much to me, undoubtedly a great car, but I prefer the 997 on many levels.

I think your money will be pretty safe in any 997 turbo as long as you buy well.

The market has changed a lot from when I was looking 18 mnts ago. Then there was less than 5 Turbo S coupes available at any one time and they would sell in less than a week. Now there is probably more like 20 available and many have been available for over 6 months.

Asking prices have become more realistic Hexagon have one for example (black 20K miles) that they originally put up at £105K and is now down to £85K). If you are fixed on one from an OPC I would suggest that either of the two for sale now could be bought for £85K with a bit of negotiation.

It is worth noting that many of the cars outside of the OPC network are being sold on behalf of the owners SOR, so many will have transferable warranties. Failing that as long as it passes the OPC checks you could put one on after 90 days.

Only you can decide how much you want to spend. I started looking at cars at £50K and ended up spending a lot more........ any regrets...... absolutely none.

Looking at the current market asking prices with 25-30K miles I see the spread like this.....

997.1 Manual - £60 - 65K
997.1.5 manual - £70 - £75K
997.2 PDK - £70 - 75K
997.2 Turbo S - £80 - 90K

.... so for equal miles / spec around £20K....... obviously older cars and those with bigger miles etc will be cheaper, late and really high spec cars may be more etc.

As has been said already, if you drive a couple, I think you will be able to see whether it is worth stretching or not :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back