Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lower side sill trim cover - any NB owners painted it?

ch3tman

Provides a subtle aesthetic difference... easier to spot on the brighter colours per examples below:

(not painted)
9616084971_c4026684f6_b.jpg

(painted)
30851446666_1d663bea59_b.jpg

(painted)
35192324595_c19b1a02bc_b.jpg

Any pros/cons to painting it? :?:

Doesn't add much visually for me. Looks ok either way.

I would think you'd want to PPF it if painted. Must be very prone to gravel rash down there, which could be why it wasn't painted as standard. :dont know:

I was going to paint mine, not a 993, but decided against it as said above.

Looks great when all nice and shiny but once stone chipped up then :nooo:

:thumb:

Great timing on the thread ch3tman. I was about to post the same thing but for a widebody. I'm sure I have seen a car on Rennlist or somewhere that has the lower part colour coded and thought it looked a lot better. As do the cars above.

I know painting the existing black part won't last long. Does anybody make replacements that are designed for painting?

Would a paint protection film be able to minimise paint chipping?

I talked with Ty about painting my RS skirt and he advised against for the reasons pointed out above.

Sutton said:
Would a paint protection film be able to minimise paint chipping?

It would certainly take the worst of it. Might not stop all of the big rocks that would cause a major stone chip but it would protect the painted surface from the small stuff that accumulates over time.

Then just replace the film when it looks a bit beaten-up without the need to repaint. It would be the sacrificial layer, in effect. The film would be an easy DIY I reckon, once the trim piece had been painted.

I'd say pointless on a dark coloured car but would create a different look on a light coloured one.

C.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back