Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Slowwww Driversssss

DrJimBone

Morning all,

I have a question; who the hell are the people that drive at 50 mph, in a car, on the duel carriageway? They cause massive tailbacks as trucks have to bimble past them at 56 mph and the rest of us have to sit and wait. :dont know:

Why can't they drive at 70 mph? What is wrong with them? Even 56 mph would prevent trucks having to pass... :?:

I think driving tests need to get *much* harder to pass. And be re-taken every ten years. :cop:

Damn they pee me off!

There's actually nothing wrong with the driving test :thumbs: there's been a big emphasis on progress for many years. The problem with most national limits is most olds think there 60 and drive 10'under the limit for safety :grin:

That's what your horn and right fist are for.

Grinds my bones big time.

I detest those that drive at less than 55mph on motorways but even they are not as bad as those that refuse to use the inside lane - even if it is completely empty. :evil:

Bit of a side note. The French Government are now imposing a 55mph limit on some of their auto routes..... to reduce emissions :nooo:

The A8 from Marseille to Monaco has already been lowered.

T8 said:
I detest those that drive at less than 55mph on motorways but even they are not as bad as those that refuse to use the inside lane - even if it is completely empty. :evil:

:agree:

:judge:

Are we turning into grumpy old men?

I find the best speed is the 'speed of the road', one that'll get you past the inside lane, but not quite attract the attention of the rozzers; it does mean you need to let a few 'runaway diesels' go by (you know the ones, they appear to have a stuck wastegate on the BlueEcoVersion) and other speed merchants (usually some even older guy in a Mercedes becuaseheownstheroad i.e. berk in a Merc) or some shorty peering between the dash and the steering wheel in his A4/A3 slime version, but that's fine by me as they'll get nabbed before I do.

What gets painful is when one groaner overtakes another slightly slower groaner (caravan, lorry, Micra etc.), and you end up with a pile of arses on your arse. All just itching to sweep imperiously by at ooh a solid 2-3 km faster than nobody else at all. So to say. Which then takes some time to clear while you bimble along at far less speed than you did before. :nooo:

We don't have too many MLHs as we only have two lane motorways, hence the above whinge.

T8 said:

My comments were particularly aimed at those that drive at well under 70 mph and stay in lane 2 of a three lane motorway as if the inside lane is for lorries only. :nooo:

The government is spending £Ms turning 'hard-shoulders' into driving lanes yet these pillocks are continually making a 4 lane M'way into 3 or 3 lanes into 2.

T8 said:
T8 said:

My comments were particularly aimed at those that drive at well under 70 mph and stay in lane 2 of a three lane motorway as if the inside lane is for lorries only. :nooo:

The government is spending £Ms turning 'hard-shoulders' into driving lanes yet these pillocks are continually making a 4 lane M'way into 3 or 3 lanes into 2.

What difference does it make if the motorway is empty?

Why does travelling in lane 2 reduce the capacity of the motorway?

If anything, using lane 1 for driving and lanes 2 & 3 for overtake only reduces the capacity?

I get the underspeed bit, however, what is the problem with staying in the middle lane doing 70? Just overtake in lane 3?

Drivers who move from lane 1 to lane 3 and back to 1 to overtake get on my nerves.

Needless manoeuvring increases collision risk.

The government need a campaign just educate the current motorway drivers to the problems they cause on the road. Tell them that all lanes are to be used and that in a roadworks 50 zone they don't need to sit in the outside lane all the way until the end of the roadworks, (why do they do this!!!!). Also to use their mirrors and keep left.

I would be more than happy with a driving test every 10 years, maybe when you renew your licence, have a refresher test at the same time. If the worst drivers failed then they would be off the road until they educated themselves on how to drive.

It would probably take some of the older drivers off the road but I'm sure a drunk driver has better skills than an 80 year old with no vision or reactions.

I do around 60k miles a year and drive briskly so I see more and get annoyed at ignorant, antisocial, dumb driving more than most.

:soapbox: :terms: :wall: :pistols: :soapbox: :terms: :wall: :pistols: :soapbox: :terms: :wall: :pistols: :soapbox: :terms: :wall: :pistols:

No comment Jotaking.

jotaking said:
Drivers who move from lane 1 to lane 3 and back to 1 to overtake get on my nerves.

Exactly the point, if I have to move from lane 1 to lane 4 (assuming you use lane 3 for cruising in a 4 lane section) and back to lane 1 to overtake you this is dangerous. Moving from lane 1 to lane 2 then back to lane 1 is not as dangerous.

If you sit in lane 2 or 3 you have effectively also taken up all the lanes to your left and therefore turning the motorway into a one lane carriageway.

infrasilver said:
jotaking said:

Exactly the point, if I have to move from lane 1 to lane 4 (assuming you use lane 3 for cruising in a 4 lane section) and back to lane 1 to overtake you this is dangerous. Moving from lane 1 to lane 2 then back to lane 1 is not as dangerous.

If in lane 1, why do you have to move to lane 3 to overtake? Just wait until I pass doing 70mph and move into lane 2 and then back to 1? Simple?

If you are doing 70 in lane 2 why does someone in lane 1 need to overtake?

In reality, we have: -

Lane 1, trucks, old people, entry & exit.

Lane 2, Keep the options open in case of emergency

Lane 3, Speed demons and people with high blood pressure.

Sorted :thumbs:

alex yates said:
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/middle-lane-hogging/

During busy periods, middle-lane hogging can cause congestion as traffic funnels through the outside lane to pass a lane hogger. If the driver in the middle lane moved over, the same traffic could be split over two lanes.

This statement contradicts itself?

If you are doing 70 then you are the traffic that is split over the 2 lanes?

The whole piece contradicts itself.

Changing lanes is one of the riskiest manoeuvres carried out on motorways.

It's when you're most likely to come into conflict with other vehicles – either by missing them in your blind spot, misjudging another car's speed or moving into a space at the same time as another vehicle.

It might seem logical, then, to remain in one lane on the motorway rather than 'weaving' between lanes when overtaking. It's true that drivers should avoid excessive weaving.

Use common sense – if you've overtaken a vehicle in lane one and you're approaching another, you'd normally be right to remain in the middle lane.

Speed is a factor, though: how long will it take for you to catch up with the next vehicle? And are there vehicles behind you waiting to get past?

Excessive weaving should definitely be avoided during periods of heavy traffic.

Often, during times of congestion on smart motorways, the overhead gantries will display advice to 'stay in lane'.

In summary...

Don't manoeuvre too much, stay in lane if it is busy and stay in lane on a smart motorway?

Why is it safe to "stay in lane" on a smart motorway and not safe on a dumb motorway?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back