Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust options

Drew1209

Spa-Francorchamps
I'm now at the stag of needing to do something with my exhaust, I'm considering doing the lot, headers, cats & boxes

I've currently got the gundo hack on standard boxes and the rest of the system is standard and to be honest it's sounds decent. I've heard the 200cell cat and mild sport box option from topgear and although sounds fine up the rev range I think it sounds terrible low down enough so for me to keep away, is this likely to be the boxes that make it sound so bad or the cats

Would 200cell cats and standard boxes with gundo hack loses the farty type noise below 3k, has anyone tried this, what like is the dansk boxes sound wise

Exhast note is a very personal thing so I would suggest actually tracking down guys with various set upd and having a listen as what one says is not nice another loves . Re dansk unless you want to be replacing the system again in 18 months I would steer clear they have a terrible rep on here from guys who have had them fall apart after quite a short time. :thumb: :thumb:

The DANSK have had some serious slagging off in the 996 facebook group this week too. Loads of members complaining the flexis split in no time and DANSK after sales was diabolical.

Phil's spot on with his advise, but if you're struggling meeting up with other owners and listening stuff then youtube is probably the next best option.

Here's my latest set-up with cheap (but excellent) Chinese manifolds, standard cats & Topgear mild sport boxes:

From what I gather the flexi is the issue with the dansk, that doesn't put me up nor down as it's a simple fix I'm more concerned with getting a good sound, the mild sport combo I heard completely lost the Porsche sound all together sounded more like 1200cc Corsa.

I'm told Kline is the best but quite expensive so don't want to go daft on the 996 as I don't think the car is worth a 2k plus exhaust.

I don't understand your comment about the DANSK :dont know:

Just for comparison, here's my set-up but with the DANSK on. Totally pointless if they're gonna drop to bits though:

Drew1209 said:
From what I gather the flexi is the issue with the dansk, that doesn't put me up nor down as it's a simple fix I'm more concerned with getting a good sound, the mild sport combo I heard completely lost the Porsche sound all together sounded more like 1200cc Corsa.

I'm told Kline is the best but quite expensive so don't want to go daft on the 996 as I don't think the car is worth a 2k plus exhaust.

Totally subjective question. I had Kline on my previous car and it was perfect. With that I've now got the Topgear equivalent with x-pipe and mild boxes and it has the same tone so don't quite understand your comments about its sounding like a Corsa.

Another thing is 3.4 and 3.6 sound different as well so make sure it's the same as your car you compare it to.
Milltek is another route or possibly IPE as well.

My comment is referring to sound of exhaust not longevity, the car I heard with the mild sport boxes sounded terrible, if dansk sounds better but after 18 month the flexi splits I couldn't care less as I'd weld in a repair, I want something that keeps a decent sound but maybe pse/ gundo is the only way

there was a member recently that fitted topgear 200 cell cats and mild sport boxes and he said the sound was like PSE plus and was very happy with it.

I've got the 200cell and mild boxes on my car with standard manifold, I kind of get what your saying below 3k the sound isn't brilliant but once revving it sounds superb, for me it's nothing like pse.

The only complaint I have with mine is there's not enough crackles and pops on the over run or between gear changes, a mate has an RS3 and that thing is orgasmic sound wise with noises at all the right times

Top gear sports on mine (99 c2) with standard rest of system for a few months now.. had the gundo hack on original previously - perfect in retrospect.

I do get a lonely few pops once in a blue moon (none previously) but tbh i never thought i'd say this about an exhaust note.. it's bordering on "too loud" for me.

Happy to send you a soundclip..

I've heard every configuration of the Top gear stuff on a 3.4 996 and not one setup has made me want to rush out and buy it.

The Topgear stuff is a good budget replacement but that's all.
I don't think they spend anything on R&D as far as sound goes. They are simply stainless boxes built to fit the car and I find them either too quiet and toneless or too loud and raucous.

The dansk have their issues but are much of a muchness vs Topgear as far as sound goes. The idea on here that the Topgear are in a different league for either quality or sound is a bit of a fantasy.

Porsche PSE is unbeatable but very expensive, then Kline and then after that just some sort of Gundo mod on standard boxes.

It's a hard one really as no budget option sounds that wow.

A 3.6 may sound better as they do anyway. I'm simply talking 3.4.

Surely the quality of the Topgear is better than the DANSK if they don't drop to bits after 18 month.......and then there's the lifetime guarantee in your ownership. :dont know:

Depends on what your perspective is for this. To me its sounds like OP is looking at it from a sound angle. I totally get this as it is very important to me.
There is also the value for money and longevity side as well. I wouldn't want to pay for something that I know is going to fail in say 18months but again I wouldn't want to have something I didn't like the sound of either.

I think the Topgear stuff is definitely value for money, Im happy with mine so far other than it being a tad quieter than hoped. I like the tone the x-pipe gives for sure. It doesn't sound perfect but it does sound good IMO. Certainly not crap but Id also like to hear it from outside.

I think the Milltek seems close to PSE sound but there around £800 alone for back boxes.

Id like to hear an IPE system as well. Its almost like trial and error and you need to hear it in person for sure, let us know which way you go. Others have said it but 3.4 does not sound as good as the 3.6 either again IMO.

Topgear customer service 10/10. But if I don't like the sound it's a bit irrelevant to me.

To be fair lots of people have no bother with the Dansk. Those that do often have many miles on them so just pay £100 to have some better flexis welded in.

So yep Topgear win on customer service but my point is, both options are just a budget replacement.
We had a load of bother fitting Craig's, but he's kept schtum on here as Alex stood by him. That's great but the car was off the road for a few weeks while parts were sent back and forth and even then holes had to be elongated with endmills etc to get them on.

Not slating them at all. At their price point they're a decent option but the ones I've seen weren't perfect and they don't sound that nice. Just adding a bit of balance amongst the "Topgear is best" stuff.

By comparison the Dansk fitted like a glove.

ETA - This post was in reply to Alex not you Graeme. I agree with everything you've said there and am thinking along identical lines, e.g. IPE. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back