Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Bore scoring

Baz Hart did a thread on it last year and got flamed for it & accused of scare-mongering and drumming up business :nooo:

I had a new engine 5 years ago. It's still pretty uncommon.

Just bought a .2 had it expertly inspected, when asked about bore score they just said no need to look.

As its piston heads its bound to be shite , read the thread . The expert who commented on .2 bore scoring seems to have never owned a .2 at all.

Borescore on gen2 does happen but in such tiny numbers that its not considered a failing in the engine . Hartech have found that in the few cars they have seen the issue is always cold engines on very cold days being driven hard from the off. The scoring is also different to the gen1 scoring as it is more of a jam due to expansion at one end which is different to the ovaling score from the gen1 . therefor its even more important with the gen2 to follow the reccomended warm up procedures before hooning it.
But I stress that in Baz opinion in his threads and posts at this point in time given the data they have, this is not an engine failing from poor use of materials or a design weakness, but more of and engine being abused by an unsympathetic driving style thats caused it to fail.

Well thats my understanding of Hartechs view of things :grin: :grin: unless I hear different from Baz it will remain my view :thumb:

Any Marque thats driven unsympathetically will fail its not just the 997.2

That's a fair summary Phil. Abused in the cold was my key take away from Baz' posts.

Phil 997 said:
Borescore on gen2 does happen but in such tiny numbers that its not considered a failing in the engine . Hartech have found that in the few cars they have seen the issue is always cold engines on very cold days being driven hard from the off. The scoring is also different to the gen1 scoring as it is more of a jam due to expansion at one end which is different to the ovaling score from the gen1 . therefor its even more important with the gen2 to follow the reccomended warm up procedures before hooning it.
But I stress that in Baz opinion in his threads and posts at this point in time given the data they have, this is not an engine failing from poor use of materials or a design weakness, but more of and engine being abused by an unsympathetic driving style thats caused it to fail.

Well thats my understanding of Hartechs view of things :grin: :grin: unless I hear different from Baz it will remain my view :thumb:

Any Marque thats driven unsympathetically will fail its not just the 997.2

Phil

Very helpful reply - as usual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back