Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 c2s what to expect .... first drive

Jonathon555

Suzuka
Just bought a 997.2 c2s , 47k miles fpsh . Sports crono, sports exhaust etc had it inspected

Plus a load of weight reducing items

Not driven it yet as i have been busy. Also have a turbo but have never driven a na porsche

What should i expect ?

Expect to get to like it

expect it to sound like a proper Porsche :grin: :grin: expect it to be 99% of the fun of a turbo at half the price :grin: expect to use it a lot :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I had a 996tt, and i now have a C4S. I love(d) them both dearly and they are amazing cars. NB Between those cars, i also had M3s.
When back to back testing the 996tt vs 997 cars when i was thinking of changing, i have to say the overwhelming thought was the vast reduction in power of the NA car compared to the turbo i had just got out of. It was just impossible to ignore.

Power was the defining attribute of the turbo and comparison cars stood no chance in that regard back to back.

I really wanted to change cars and I actually proactively started driving the family estate (not the turbo) for bit before comparisons to mitigate this factor!

The plus side of al this, in my opinion, was that the power of the turbo ultimately was what stopped me enjoying it as i now do the C4S. It was just too fast and too effortless for the road IMO. Wringing out the NA car is far more satisfying and plenty quick enough. My advise is to just put some time in between the two cars before drives!

Both incredible machines - if i could have afforded to keep both cars, i most certainly would. The Turbo is ultimately by far the most 'special' car to look at and own - for me the C4S wins as the most rewarding drive for the roads though.

Jonathon555 said:
Just bought a 997.2 c2s , 47k miles fpsh . Sports crono, sports exhaust etc had it inspected

Plus a load of weight reducing items

Not driven it yet as i have been busy. Also have a turbo but have never driven a na porsche

What should i expect ?

Thanks for the replies, i also have an m3 that i enjoy driving. Hopefully c2s is similar

I really liked my turbo but I like to wring the neck out of my cars and the turbo's power had dropped off a cliff by the time you were anywhere near the redline.
The roll on acceleration is staggering but ultimately not that satisfying for my needs.

Fun and an aural delight :thumb: I understand the appeal of the turbo power and torque but I'll admit I'm a sucker for an NA engine, to my ear they'll always have the edge. If it's a manual even better; it took a GT3 to get me out of my 997.2 C2S. I'm sure you'll love both but I wouldn't be surprised if you developed a soft spot for the C2S :thumbs:

Sledge hammer vs fiddle .........

Sledge hammer vs fiddle

Moving on from my original post .......

I have now driven my 997.2 c2s with lightened weight vs my 996 turbo with added power.

Now you can all shoot me down in flames if you wish, as this is only my opinion.

The 997.2 c2s is more refined less brutal and you can play it like a fiddle. Every steering input is fed back to the driver, you can alter its axis mid corner using the throttle and it not scary. After a days driving you get out feeling fresh and rewarded. It is a great car by any standard , my car has a fabspeed induction kit, pse etc its not mega noisy but sounds intoxicating at high revs.

The 996 turbo with added power is just brutal in comparison, it accelerates like being attached to a steam catatpult on an aircraft carrier deck. The steering is far more raw , the ride not as supply. The mechanical grip is there , but can be hard to fully adjust through some corners. This is due to the ammount of speed you are trying to scrub , as normally three figues takes seconds.

Its can be exilerating but you can get out with sweaty pits , other cars just dont see you coming.

These are both amazing drivers cars but so different in so many ways.

Thats just my thoughts , so for now i will keep both.

Sounds absolutely spot on, and a good example of why a man needs (at least) 2 911s. I feel the same with my turbo being balls out fast but my C2 being more refined. I am hoping my C4 project car will be more controlled in the chassis but still have the throttle finesse and lightweight nature of the non-turbo car.

MC

Re: Sledge hammer vs fiddle .........

Jonathon555 said:
Thats just my thoughts , so for now i will keep both.

:thumb:

Alternatively you could sell both and buy a 997Turbo with a DSC Sport modification and a sports exhaust and have the best of both worlds. :D

ps. I've merged your recent post with your original one.

hi, C2S owner here, could you elaborate on the weight reducing items?

thanks!

Love the idea of having a C2/C2S AND a Turbo - man maths at its finest!
I am surprised at how expensive Turbo cars are; a good 997 C4S PDK is, what, £45k whilst a 997 PDK Turbo is more like £70k. A Turbo S is another £15k or so. The price difference seems rather a lot for some extra shove that you can't often use on the average UK road.

Then again, I've not driven a Turbo; perhaps I should if only to see if it's worth the money.

Counter Of Beans said:
.... I am surprised at how expensive Turbo cars are; a good 997 C4S PDK is, what, £45k whilst a 997 PDK Turbo is more like £70k. A Turbo S is another £15k or so .....

Then again, I've not driven a Turbo; perhaps I should if only to see if it's worth the money.

Be warned. If you drive a Turbo you will want one. :judge:

If you do, I know where you can get a really nice one for under £50k. :)

Here => http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=129529&start=40&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

It's a Tiptronic rather than a PDK but I've never considered the difference to be worth £15-£20k.

Mr Bean Counter, a well looked after turbo is well worth the premium over the NA (non GT) models. Even the much maligned 996 variant is in a different performance league to 98% of cars out there, despite what figures on paper may tell you.

People tend to get confused about what matters though, whether the seats look newer, or if its got some miles on it, but nobody seems to say this about the 993 :?:

Anyway, I think you're right. You definitely should drive one, a red one with a girltronic box :wink:

yes, yes. I know other opinions are available

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back