Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I change my C4S for a Turbo?

toddy2

Hi All,

An acquaintance is looking to free up some cash in his 996 Turbo and I'll PX my C4S. I'm just not sure whether it's worth 'upgrading'. Then there's the whole tip v manual question.

So the deal is mine plus £7k, the details:

My C4S spec:
2002 Manual black, with grey leather, full carbon interior bits, bose, hardback seats, upgraded double din car play stereo, 130k miles and 8 owners.

The Turbo spec:
2002 Blue with black leather, bose, tiptronic, 110k miles 5 owners.

I've grown found of my C4S and given it's mileage now I'm using as a daily driver. Welcome any thoughts from people who've moved from a C4S to the Turbo. But there's always that feel overtime I see a Turbo, why am I not driving a Turbo?!

...I think that I would...and personally I prefer the tiptronic, always in the right gear with quick changes...plus no clutch change costs to worry about !

Plus the turbo engine isn't made out of chocolate!!

If it's in comparable condition, for 7k, I'd go for it.

As long as the condition of the Turbo is good, I'd do it from a C4S, yes.

The Turbo can generate BIG bills though, so be careful.

I wouldn't as I've seen the bills a 100k mile 996 Turbo can bring.

I made the change from a 996C4 to a 996T just over 5 years ago and asked the same question of the forum before doing so.

The post below was dated 19/5/2013

T8 said:
Thanks to all that contributed to my thread and to those that I've had various 'PM' discussions with. :thumb:

400 miles into Turbo ownership and 2 hours after my first 'proper' solo drive I now feel qualified to answer my own question. :grin:

The 74 miles that I drove this morning took in all of my local fun routes (50/50 A and B roads, no dual carriageways) and allowed me to make a direct comparison between my old 996C4 and my 'new' toy.

These are the most relevant.

1. The 'balance' that's achieved by keeping the NA car at 4,000 rpm+ can be done in the Turbo at 2,800 ie. just when 0.1 bar is starting to show.

2. The 'kick' that a NA car gives between 4,500 and 6,000 rpm is matched between 2,800 and 4,000. It's what happens then that really brings home the difference between the two cars. At 4000 rpm most of the additional 100 bhp is just 'there' .......... instantly. The final 10% takes a little bit longer to come but by that time it's normally time to back off anyway.

3. The other major difference is noticed when slowing down. iirc the Turbo weighs in at 100kg heavier than the C4 (not the C4S). Under most circumstances the extra weight is not noticeable but under braking it most definitely is! The combination of the extra weight, lack of engine braking - and the fact that you're going quicker between the corners - brings home to me why these things are renowned for eating pads (and discs :eek: ).

4. Handling wise there's probably very little between the two, as both are 4wd, but the Turbo seems to absorb the bumps better. It feels 'softer' but this may just be because my 'T' is 2 years newer than the C4 was and it's also done a few miles less. :dont know: .

In summary I am already starting to see why the Turbo is held in such high regard by so many people, including those far more experienced in driving fast cars than me. It's not just the rate that these monsters can cover cross-country distances, it's the ease with which they do it.

The reason for my original post was my concern that the fantastic 'driveability' of the C4 would not be matched if I changed to a Turbo and that the 'cost to change' may not offer the same :D 's per £.

After only 19 days I'm pleased to report ........... :cloud9:

I kept that car for 22 months before moving on to a 997 Turbo which I've now owned for 3.5 years.

Manual cars have their stalwart fans but the Tiptronic box is as good as any ordinary automatic out there and is particularly suited to the torque of the 996/997T Mezger based engine.

Thanks all, I'll get it inspected and if nothing immediately serious I'll go for it.

Cosmetically their both similar condition.

I'll keep you posted :thumb:

I'd say for a £7k upgrade yes tho you'll have to see how you find the tip, that would a tough pill to swallow for me

skinny_monkey said:
I'd say for a £7k upgrade yes tho you'll have to see how you find the tip, that would a tough pill to swallow for me

I know that's where my biggest dilemma is, had it been manual I would have no doubts.

I've wondered about this mysel, SWMBO says no, but although there is the obvious power difference how often do you get to use it?
My son says when you can, that's the fun of owning high powered cars!
But then at a £7k purchase why not :dont know:

toddy2 said:
skinny_monkey said:

I know that's where my biggest dilemma is, had it been manual I would have no doubts.

Personally at £7k I would scratch the itch. If you want to make sure regarding the tiptronic then how about asking your acquaintance if they would consider a swap for a day or two?

£7k very little money to change imo.

I traded my 997 4S manual to a tip 997 turbo and paid £27k for the privilege :eek: I've never regretted it! The tip really suits the turbo and it just feels so special having that turbo badge. The 996 turbo a great looking car!

Hope the inspection goes well :thumb:

I agree with the others if after inspection it looks sound then go for it. I had a tip on my gen1 and fitted a sprint boost to stop it adopting a lazy mode as it learns your driving style. I much prefered my tip to my gen2 manual box and not just because I have just had to spend 8k rebuilding the box and new clutch and flywheel I actually money aside prefer an auto over a manual. :thumb:nothing more annoying than keep hitting the rev limiter and losing power . an auto box this wont happen which actually makes them faster accelerating cars. for me its PDK 1st Tip 2nd and then nasty old manual in 3rd place. :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Thanks again all, I'll see if I can borrow it for a weekend just to make sure I like the tip.

Problem I've got is our other car is an auto Range Rover and I get really lazy driving it, which is part of the fun jumping in the 996.

But for £7k the looks alone buy me over.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back