Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ouch :( - Gtechniq W7 on powder coated alloys....

TBE997

Monza
Good evening,

I jacked up my car today and took all four alloys off to do a properly clean the wheel arches and also give my alloys some tlc...

I had some old glue residual from previous wheel weights on my alloys, which i tried to remove with Gtechik W7 Glue and Tar remover. My alloys are powder coated black..

Applied the product, let it soak in for 5mins and then rinse off. However it left white streak marks. tried to get them off by applying more ...now i got a nasty film all over my alloys, it looks like the glue and tar remover just dried over

QDgqIhm.jpg

it's very stick, feels like a film of glue, and i tried to scratch it off with plastic razor blades, however no chance. spoke to a detailer who suggest using a low abrasive polish.

anyone come across this? did the tar and glue remover react with the alloys?

any help or guidance is much appreciated!

thanks

Theres a thread on here recently where they were discussing rubbing vasaline or something into it and let it dry . have a look in the detailing threads or the 996 997 threads it was two or three weeks ago. :thumb:

Just wipe it off with some white spirit.

Thank you guys

will try tardis

i have just tried spraying W7 on a cloth and rubbing it on the area. all it did was put another layers. it seems as it drys on the surface and stays on there...

if tardis doesn't work, ill consider using some polish or get it polished by someone professional

It'll be wiped off in seconds with some white spirit with no damage to the alloy. Dunno why folk fall for all these snazzy exspensive products.

+1 to white spirit, it's really great for cleaning off tar etc, it's also cheap and won't damage your paintwork (or you).

I would wash off with soapy water after using the white spirit though.

You could try WD40 that shifts glue residue.

These white streak makes I think are actually the product that has bound with my alloys (gtechniq W7. The packing says safe on all coatings...)

I have been trying to some research on that remover on powder coated alloys, but there is very little only. Found one old thread where someone described a similar problem but there was no conclusion or solution unfortunately

I guess another expensive lesson for me :frustrated:

T cut would be my next move.

So tried a few things this afternoon, none really works to be honest, this tar and glue remover sits really sturdy on the alloy

RedT Cut
Blue -Meguiar metal polish
Purple - vaseline

l7bRbf7.png

I'll leave the vaseline overnight and see what it looks like tomorrow

Meguiar looks promising but would require a lot of work, I think I would need a polishing machine for that

Worst case I get them all returned and powder coated again, almost ok with that thought. If I go down this route, I'll definitely get them ceramic coated as well .

Would be worth contacting Gtechniq to get their comments on whats happened??........To late now but it is worth doing a small test with products you havent used before to check compatibility. Hope you get it sorted, sickening when these things happen. :?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back