Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The day began so well then......

FRZ 911

Sao Paulo
.......boom. Well, squish actually. Just back from a prolonged trip abroad and arranged for the car to get its MOT. Took her down to the centre (DVA only over here) and she passed with no advisories. Cracking I thought, the car's been laid up for the best part of 10 months so can't be bad with that result. :thumbs:

On the way back home I gave stretched her legs a bit so everything including the brakes lost their cobwebs. Arrived home, hit the button to open the garage door then decided to leave the car outside but almost ended up in there anyway! Brake pedal hitting the floor with very little pressure and, although the brakes were biting there was clearly something major going on.

A quick look around found a pretty regular drip coming from underneath the car about half way up on the passenger side. Definitely brake fluid so moved her into the garage (very slowly) and put a tray under the drip and pumped the brake pedal a few times - yep, there's a hole in one of the brake pipes. :roll: That said, better to have happened at home rather than heading down one of my favourite twisty roads eh? :thumb:

Car is now on its way to George McMillan's (my local indy) for repair. Apparently there is a join in the pipe where mine is leaking which can blow (through corrosion) so they recognised the symptoms immediately.

All's not lost as the car needed new front discs anyway and I'll get the pipes replaced plus the hoses as well. During it's last service the RMS was weeping so it also needs repaired so, there were bills to be paid anyway.

Attachments

• fullsizerender_110.jpg
    fullsizerender_110.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 2,050
  • img_4338_186.jpg
    img_4338_186.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 2,050
  • img_4336_230.jpg
    img_4336_230.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 2,050
Hmmmm as you say could have been a nasty result if you where hooning it down a twisty road. At least you know what is required for a fix, so hopefully you will be up and running again soon. :thumbs:

I just replaced the front hard pipes, so glad I did now!

MOTs, not worth the paper they're written on.

Thank goodness you got home in one piece.

The car's now safely at George McMillan's so hopefully I'll have her back on the road in the next week or so.

Thanks for the comments guys - I think there was a bit of luck on my side to be honest. Just back from getting the Ducati through its MOT and the brakes are definitely working fine! :D

might be worth getting braded brake lines done as well mate while they are messing in that area. :thumb:

Hi Phil,

Yep - bought a set of HEL lines a while back and they're getting fitted as well. :thumb:

Brakes should be in pretty decent nick by the time everything's done.

Interesting read and there's clearly a bit of checking I could have done as part of my own maintenance - hey ho. Definitely looks like the same thing - hopefully George won't have the same problem with my nipples! :hand:

Unfortunate, but at least the timing wasn't too bead being at home. I use George for my 993 and have friends that take their cars there: one of the good guys.

harryk said:
Unfortunate, but at least the timing wasn't too bead being at home. I use George for my 993 and have friends that take their cars there: one of the good guys.

He definitely is and, now the car is home permanently, it will always head to his place whether it's for servicing or repair.

FRZ 911 said:
hopefully George won't have the same problem with my nipples! :hand:

:floor: :floor: makes a change for it to not be me that makes a comment like that :floor:

Whilst your car is in there get them to remove all the undertrays and empty a can of waxoil / ac 50 over every pipe they can .. so brake lines , coolant pipes and a/c pipes .. also get the brass unions for the pas and clutch done ..

Finally the clutch slave cyl pipe and if a Tip then the tip box pipes.

This will be money VERY well spent trust me .

Mot .. its a visual inspection , they are not allowed to remove any panels and a lot of brake lines are behind panels , they are not allowed to pull a brake pipe out of a plastic clip to inspect so unless its an obvious corroded pipe in a place they can see then it will pass.

Mot at the end of the day is about minimum safety standards , when you get a pass and advise then the advise comment needs to be taken seriously .

Im afraid brake pipes down the left hand side on 996/986 do suffer from corrosion .. i see it a lot .

997 onwards and the pipes are plastic coated and so last a lot longer .

Thanks for the advice deMort - genuinely appreciated and I'll pass it on to my Indy. :thumbs:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back