Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sudden shocker on my insurance

Rob325114

Spa-Francorchamps
Looking for some advice on next steps here, as my Insurance has suddenly doubled, with no changes in my personal circumstances.

Car: 2012 991 C2S, only car / daily
Me: 31yo male, 3 years no claims. no convictions, one awareness course
Location: Zone 1, London, parked in a locked undergrund in a residential car park
Mileage: 8000/year

Current & Renewal: I currently have Insurance with Aviva (standard) which is around £1000/year (not terrible for a 31yo in zone 1), and has been static for 3 years with my prior 911s. Suddenly my renewal quote jumped to £1600 and aviva won't budge

Comparison sites: the only competitive quote from comparison sites was Admiral (£1000), but they suddenly jumped to £1800 when i told them about the awareness course i attended (which is required as part of their wording)

Brokers: AIB and a number of other brokers have provided quotes that are similar to Aviva, but will restrict my mileage to 6kpa, which isn't workable when this is my daily. and they require the tracker to be activated which increases the annual costs associated with Insurance.

What am I missing here? Do I just need to suck up a 60% increase in my premiums? Any ideas of how to bring this down further?

Did the awareness course happen since your last Insurance was purchased? Just trying to understand. Insurance is the suckiest of all time.

Also there doesn't seem to be any logic to the way it works. I'd recommend my own company but there is no reason why they will give you a good deal, it really is hit and miss. Adrian Flux is the company and I am not sure they are in the comparison sites.

The awareness course happened during my last Insurance, and i called to tell them, but they said they only record convictions/fines/points etc - they don't care about awareness courses; and i've renewed since then, with no issues!

It seems either me, my location or my car is seen as much more risky than it has been previously. There's no change in me personally, except for being slightly older, driving slightly longer, and having another years no claims..!

I'll give Adrian Flux a go and see what they can do :) thanks for the suggestion

Very odd. I'm fairly certain they have a dart board with numbers on and they throw blindfolded at it to give you a price.

Rob325114 said:
Looking for some advice on next steps here, as my Insurance has suddenly doubled, with no changes in my personal circumstances.

Car: 2012 991 C2S, only car / daily
Me: 31yo male, 3 years no claims. no convictions, one awareness course
Location: Zone 1, London, parked in a locked undergrund in a residential car park
Mileage: 8000/year

Current & Renewal: I currently have Insurance with Aviva (standard) which is around £1000/year (not terrible for a 31yo in zone 1), and has been static for 3 years with my prior 911s. Suddenly my renewal quote jumped to £1600 and aviva won't budge

Comparison sites: the only competitive quote from comparison sites was Admiral (£1000), but they suddenly jumped to £1800 when i told them about the awareness course i attended (which is required as part of their wording)

Brokers: AIB and a number of other brokers have provided quotes that are similar to Aviva, but will restrict my mileage to 6kpa, which isn't workable when this is my daily. and they require the tracker to be activated which increases the annual costs associated with Insurance.

What am I missing here? Do I just need to suck up a 60% increase in my premiums? Any ideas of how to bring this down further?

With the low miles per annum have you tried a modern classic policy like classicline?

A Plan were pretty good when I insured the Boxster recently

Firstly I wouldn't have told them about the awareness course as there's no way of them finding out as far as I'm aware.

Secondly, get on a comparison site and run through ALL the questions with different options. You might want to set up a fake account with them as each quote is saved and you can easily rack up over 100.

Biggest easiest savings are:

Add an old relative with a clear driving history. Even adding a mate can drop it 20%. Try a few options.

Overnight parking location. These days you can pay less if its on the street as any thief doesn't know which house to rob the keys from. Locked in a garage is usually dearest.

Job title. I own my own business, do design work, Engineering, machining and Toolmaking. Selecting anything from Owner, Director, Designer, Engineer, rubbing rag or s**thouse cleaner all make a big difference.

Regularly using the car in peak times also puts it up. How they could ever prove that I don't know.

Just remember......all Insurance companies are gangsters and its all a big game evading getting ripped off by them.

I guess the reason your's has inflated is due to claim statistics in your area. Might wanna move out of London :wink:

I pay £246 fully comp across Europe with my mate on it with me.

My lads been done for DD, had a claim, has no NCB and is currently getting quoted £1500 fully comp on a 4.8 V8 BMW 650i and he's only 27.

The whole business sucks.

I have been through this crazy minefield just this month for our 987. Renewal had jumped almost 50% despite no changes to any circumstances, other than one more year NCB, taking it to 10 years.

Contacted our insurer and had a chat 3.5 weeks before due date. They dropped the price by £50, but that still sucked as far as I was concerned. They cited floods, increase in non insured driver claims, Martians... (well maybe not martians) etc etc. But nothing that made sense or gave me any comfort.

Went onto numerous comparison websites with great success, taking the price below last years with a choice of 5 different companies to choose from. So just as a belt and braces job I contacted a couple of companies that do not feature on the comparison sites.
To my complete astonishment CO-OP turned out to be not only cheaper again but with several other nice touches like breakdown/lost key etc etc thrown in!

So they got the business and then also our home Insurance also as they came up trumps there too.

What I did notice with the comparison sites is that if you search a month before renewal date the price and choice is way better than if you leave it later. Also moving the voluntary excess value up or down make way more difference than you would ever think ( and not alway in the direction you would think!!).Also adding my wife as a named driver drove some prices up but others down as did varying the number of miles expected to be driven in a year, again not always in the way you would think.

So, in my opinion, it is worth really working the comparison site variables and also going beyond them and asking those not listed what their price would be. You might be pleasantly surprised, I definitely was.

If Admiral jacked their premium up from £1000 to £1800 once you told them about the speed awareness then I think we can safely assume thats why your premiums are higher.

As others have said, get on the comparison sites and play around with the quotes. Things do seem to vary year by year as to what reduces your premium.

I remember one year adding my grandmother to my Insurance dropped the premium drastically. Not sure why they felt a 80 year old woman would be a safer driver, but there you go. Then the following year removing her actually dropped the premium. As others have said I have also found it cheaper to say the cars parked on the road, and amazingly also cheaper sometimes to say its got no alarm/immobiliser on it.

Job title affects it too, even though you could be doing the same job, and if you say you are married that too increased my premium! I can see why now!

It also drops a lot if you're gay and in a civil partnership. If that isn't discrimination I don't know what is!! :nooo:

Insurance

Hi,my 996 C2 is £417 pa.Fully comp max ncb parked on my drive.I speeding SP 50. Added my 27 year old son and only charged an extra £250.They cover all my cars Integrale £190,Sierra Cosworth £158,69 Corvette £80,MGA £81,Lotus Elise £210,all fully comp.Mike.

I'm in a very similar circumstance. Zone 1 etc. Try http://www.hendersontaylor.co.uk/

My policy is about £450 and doesn't take into account any no claims, doesn't accrue any either mind. Includes 5 track days and they don't care about most mods. I.e. a turbo kit or roll cage would probably be significant enough.

Just FYI, it would seem Insurance Companies are charging you if you cancel a policy part way through its term. I called Direct Line to let them know I'd sold my BMW4 series with less than a month to run on the current policy. As there was less than a month to go, I wouldn't be due any refund but they wanted to charge a cancellation fee of circa £50 :eek: so I just let the policy run its course.

I paid Classicline £408 in May for the C2 993 valued at £57,500. As I sold the car yesterday :sad: I called Classicline who not only informed me I'd only receive £156 refund, it would take up to 60 day's to be returned :eek: :x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back