Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 poss 991 Purchase advice

Albachap

I'm in the fortunate position of being able to get back into the Porsche game - i've previously had a 993 Turbo and then a 993 Targa over in Asia Pac and also driven a couple of 997s - Turbo and 2s and a 4s of friends. I know a bit - enough to be dangerous !

Due to a car shuffle I've a budget of about £55k and am looking at a couple of 997 C2S with circa 25kish +/- miles on them. All so far at OPCs.

So....the main questions, and all sage advice gratefully recieved:
1) If it's from an OPC and under 2 yr warranty would you get a full PPI done ?
2) I prefer the 2s handling but could be swayed by a 4s - thoughts ?
3) any other things to watch out for as a relative newbie ?

Fantastic forum :thumb:

Albachap said:

:welcome:

1) Yes, if it has a warranty then no.
2) Depends if you are an ass man or not :grin:
3) Selling a number plate on here :wack:

Any pics of your 993T :camera: :food:

:thumb:

HSC911 said:
Albachap said:
3) Selling a number plate on here :wack:
Even if I had the world's best Porsche number plate, I'd dare not advertise the sale of it here. The burn is deep
Now where are these pics of the 993 Turbo :food:

Faried for sure.
My pockets are shallow, empty and I'm tighter than a nuns nasty. :grin:
If, and I mean IF, I were going to splash out on a number plate it would be a 00XX type plate. My value system doesn't have the algorithm to justify the cost, so it a case of wishing unfortunately.
Now where is my Smythson notepad and Mont Blanc pen, time to doodle.
:bonk:

Albachap said:
So....the main questions, and all sage advice gratefully recieved:

:welcome: to 911uk

Re (1) An OPC car wouldn't get the 2 year warranty if it needed anything doing to it so, for me, an independent PPI would be a waste of money.

Re (2) I love the extra feeling of security that awd gives in damp conditions but in truth I doubt that I drive hard enough to have ever had an issue in a 2wd car. The wider rump and especially the red rear strip are big +'s.

Re (3) the 997.2 and 991.1 share fundamentally the same engine and after 8 years any major issues would be well documented by now. They're not.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

1) Yes, if it has a warranty then no.
2) Depends if you are an ass man or not Grin
3) Selling a number plate on here wack

I'll be honest on 2), i probably am more attracted to the wider hipped models for sure hence every time i see a 4 or 4s i purr, perhaps I need to hone in on that then.

I'll keep my search going, theres a couple of 991 4's around that are above budget but I'm sure in this market a deal could be done. I want something understated if poss, probably not orange or with an aerokit. Am looking at a couple on the weekend (C2s) so will get a feel for what is out there, i'm in Edinburgh.

EDIT: This one has been on my list http://www.thboler.com/used-cars/8746756-porsche-911-carrera-4/

Have been hunting for snaps of the 993T, still looking, i'll put some up of the 993 Targa though. It had a nice plate as well ;-) (9i1 - it was in NZ)

That TH Boler C4 looks lovely - good price too. At that money it's difficult to choose between a fat bottomed Carrera or a slightly narrower Carrera 'S'.

The alternative is to wait 9-12 months and get the best of both, a C4S.

ps. If you particularly want a manual car that TH.B car ticks the box. They are quite rare.

Been having a good scout around now, that TH Boler 4 is definitely looking like an option. Only thing stopping me is I was keen to use an OPC and get a decent warranty on it, not sure about stepping out of the dealer network, my RS4 had a load of issues but was under warranty so all fixed which has spooked me a bit !

Get the Porsche warranty if you'd feel better.

Didn't know you could do that. Assume you pay for the 111 check and then pay for warranty if it passes, will do a search on here and get some details as I'd happily pay a couple of K for that for some peace of mind.

Apart from a 90 day wait at the start, that's it.

Any idea of 1st year costs, looks like the check is about 220GBP, renewal looks to be circa 1000 but wondered if a new warranty was more. Just to be informed and manage the costs being passed by 'central command' (my wife)

Cheaper to do a couple of years at once. I gave up on it years ago, but it was a bit over a grand per year. Cheaper without Porsche Assistance than with.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back