Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

RSS tarmac engine mounts

rob001

Finally had the time to install. Initial thought put the up for sale ....
The downside I experience is a vibration throughout the car between 2500 and 3000 rpm even in steering wheel. Mounts are proper installed and all bolts torqued. The plus side car feels more planted and shifting to lower gears definitely improved!

Lets see if the vibration will settle over time, if not :bye:

Rob , please keep me posted as it seems your butt vibration tool must be similar to mine and I need to know if they settle over time or shake your piles out . I did have no issue with my rennline on the gen1 but the gen2 calls for something softer and I want to know how well the RSS settle when broken in .. :thumb:

I have the RSS Tarmac Series engine mounts in my 9972.

At installation, I had two bits of nasty NVH:

1. at idle/in neutral (there was no added NVH when in gear/foot on brake); and

2. in gear at around 2900-2950rpm (I wasn't running my Scanguage so can only call it from the rev counter).

I didn't mind too much as my other car has a fully polybushed engine and gearbox. At least the rear view mirror didn't resonate. I could change the revs a bit (and drive around the 2900rpm vibe).

They have now gone away, and there's only a little additional NVH, but it's nothing compared to running Michelins on Finnish roads.

Really, don't worry about it.

Thanks for replies.
Drove whole day and they seems to settle a bit, will keep them!

Another thing I noticed with PASM on the car is horrible to drive, way to stiff now that the back end is not more bouncing around. Next mode DSC. So if anyone have one laying around pls PM me.

I'm learning all these Porsche upgrades so bear with me..

So these engine mounts help with changing through the lower gears, yet bring a little vibration at first, but also make the car horrible to drive with PASM activated :?:

So far, I've found PASM too harsh/stiff to use on the roads anyway (997.1). I always knock the suspension button off when PASM is on.

The DSC Sport Controller does sound interesting. I guess you need both mods to really improve things.

the DSC is expensive but really is worth the money it makes the std ride better and sport very usable , I spend a lot of time in sport with PASM on now :thumb: :thumb:

I've had my RSS mounts for quite a few years now, there was/is a little more vibration, but only around tickover to 1200RPM. It's always been the same, I doubt that they 'settle'.

Would I buy them again? If I was using it as a daily, no, but I'm currently only using it as a weekend toy.

Martian said:
I've had my RSS mounts for quite a few years now, there was/is a little more vibration, but only around tickover to 1200RPM. It's always been the same, I doubt that they 'settle'.

Would I buy them again? If I was using it as a daily, no, but I'm currently only using it as a weekend toy.

I'm in two minds about this: objectively I don't see how polybushes and the like could get a lot softer, but they do seem to bed in (settle?) a bit after a couple of months. There is less NVH at 2900rpm in the C4S. Alternatively, I just got used to it, in both cars.

I drive both my cars regularly (neither is my 'daily driver' or my 'weekender', I only ask myself when I'm going out, "which car now?"), and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't like transmission shunt, and I don't like the feeling of the engine rocking back and forth on a launch (or merely at the lights) and lurching around side to side in corners. I like the tight, firm, controlled feeling. And yes, I'd do it again. No hesitation. It just depends on what you like and what you want from your cars.

As to the TPC module, that's a big improvement to car control: comfortable when you need it to be, but with so much more body control.

I fitted some rennline semi solid mounts to my 997.1 tt a few months ago. Initially thought they were too harsh , but they seem to have bedded in a bit now. Also got used to them I think. Massive benefit IMO. Gearchange much more precise plus more noise from the engine in the cabin when you gun it (which I like). Wouldn't go back now

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=130028

Perfect , I had decided that I wanted a set of used RSS mounts so that hopefully they would have settled in a bit and not be too harsh as the gen2 doesnt lend itself as well as the gen1 did to some mods , I think due to it being a little more refined it really notices if you do things like engine mounts or transmission mounts . So a used set that had broken in seemed to be the ideal way to do the engine mount mod . a few weeks of patience and a 10k mile set come up for sale . So I grabbed them :grin: thanks Chris :thumb:

Like grahemho, I have fitted Rennline semi solids, absolutely love them, no nast nvh at all a, just seem to tighten everything up and feel more mechanical like a sports car should feel,they have definitely softened up a tiny bit in the year or so since fitted! Gear change is so much better too, nice and snickety :thumb:

I run the RSS on my 996 turbo and love them. But I might try the rennline on my current project.

MC

I run the RSS on my 997.2 and yes there is NVH at approx 2850-2950rpm but the benefits far outway this and on a PLUS the missis doesn't notice a difference :lol: :thumb:

More responsive throttle, better push out of corners, better change of direction, more positive gear change all good to me :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back