Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Buying 2008 Cayenne V8 4.8S - Good engine? Any problems?

NinjaPower

Hockenheim
Hi all,

Wanting a 2008 onwards Cayenne and going to look at one tomorrow night.

It's a 2008 4.8 and done 65k miles with full porsche history.

But... I've just been reading some horror stories about he V8 Cayenne engine. Apparently they suffer bore score?

But some are saying it's only the earlier 4.5 from pre-2007 that has issues.

Can anyone give me any information in this please.

Anything else to look out for?

Thanks!

Sorry, Don't have anything helpful to add but following as I may go down this route too.

How did your viewing go?

i have the same model year gts which is more or less the same engine with a slightly different intake and exhaust i believe.
its at 80k miles and well taken care of. It did come with its share of problems at around the 9yr mark.

Front control arm bushings, the cardan shaft, front stabilizer bar bushing,
front stabilizer bar endlinks all had to be changed. These were relatively simple jobs.

The more complicated labor intensive ones were the rear main crank seal and the torque converter seal for which engine and tranny had to be dropped. While doing that noticed the oil cooler o rings were leaking as well as the power steering pump. Porsche (or aftermarket) does not sell any o rings or gaskets for the power steering pump so i resued the power steering pump o ring with some high temp sealant and hope it holds.

Another expense in recent time was the ECU deciding to die on me. Replacement ecu from porsche is in the 7k gbp range. I managed to get a used ecu off ebay and clone the data from original one to the used one for about 1/3rd the price.
The ecu issue seems to be very rare and my case was probably a one off thing.

Also note various servo motors in the ac system may decide to die randomly based on age. The rear camera is also very temperamental and likes to get stuck in closed or open position.

Other things to check before purchase
subframe bushings, engine mounts. air suspension issues (if equipped), alternator, water pump condition.

stick to the 957 gen post 2007 cars

these are much more reliable, age issues starting to have an impact

to add fro what Cy00 has said

- drive shafts need checking
- car's spec is important, IMHO Air suspension is a must
- price, dont pay over the odds for a low mileage car

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle