Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 19
997 : 2004- 91
996 : 1997-2005 43
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 2
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 15
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

DRZ911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments.

Done about 300 miles in the car in the past week.
And boy is it WOW! WOW! WOW! Very Happy

Many positive comments from family, friends and colleagues who have seen the car, and the colour seems to make everyone smile.

Engine is absolutely stonkin' - no delays or hesitation, just sheer brute delivery of power. Surprised

Bucket seats are surprisingly comfortable (I'm 1.75m), but you need to be an Olympic gymnast to get out of them. yes

Steering seems super-direct compared to my previous C4S. Every undulation, ripple and feature of the road surface is fed back up through the steering system to the steering wheel. No front end "bobbing" (as on the C4S) from the front end at motorway speeds. Just feels absolutely planted. worship

Brakes are standard cast iron. Initially dead when cold, and squeal like a pig when coming to a standstill, but immensely powerful and confidence inspiring on the move.

Still trying to understand the best technique for tackling gentle slopes from standstill when the HOLD function is not engaged. No creep function on the gearbox like other PDK cars, so a chance of some roll-back. Instead, some slackness and a clonk from the rear axle as drive starts to engage. If anyone can help explain the best method for smooth starts on small inclines with zero roll-back, it would be much appreciated ?

Kryton
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No creep on the PDK is something I don't like either nooo

2Lt 718 Cayman (weekday drive)

easternjets
Kyalami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if the brakes on a Turbo are different to the ones fitted to a GT 3, talking std brakes not PCCB.
Porsche 928 S4
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera 1985

FRZ 911
Imola

2007 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ911 wrote:

Many positive comments from family, friends and colleagues who have seen the car, and the colour seems to make everyone smile.

Engine is absolutely stonkin' - no delays or hesitation, just sheer brute delivery of power. Surprised

Bucket seats are surprisingly comfortable (I'm 1.75m), but you need to be an Olympic gymnast to get out of them. yes

Steering seems super-direct compared to my previous C4S. Every undulation, ripple and feature of the road surface is fed back up through the steering system to the steering wheel. No front end "bobbing" (as on the C4S) from the front end at motorway speeds. Just feels absolutely planted. worship

Brakes are standard cast iron. Initially dead when cold, and squeal like a pig when coming to a standstill, but immensely powerful and confidence inspiring on the move.

Still trying to understand the best technique for tackling gentle slopes from standstill when the HOLD function is not engaged. No creep function on the gearbox like other PDK cars, so a chance of some roll-back. Instead, some slackness and a clonk from the rear axle as drive starts to engage. If anyone can help explain the best method for smooth starts on small inclines with zero roll-back, it would be much appreciated ?

Congrats DRZ - can't help with the roll-back I'm afraid (handbrake and clutch bite with my old jallopy Grin ) but what an absolutely cracking car and great colour to go with it. Health to enjoy. thumbsup

Can't be too many yellow GT3's around the Old Smoke so I'll keep an eye out and pass a friendly wave if I see you. Thumb

DRZ911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks FRZ, look forwards to seeing you out and about. Laughing

dirtybarrys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ911 wrote:

The car is just stunning - must catch up to see it P! Very Happy Thumb

MJA911
Magny-Cours

2012 Porsche 991 Carrera

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an amazing machine, every journey an event!

Will you take it on a track, surely the only way to get to know just how much of an automotive masterpiece you've got there.

DRZ911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJA911 wrote:

Will you take it on a track, surely the only way to get to know just how much of an automotive masterpiece you've got there.

Good question. Laughing

Reckon on my long journey to understand what the GT3 is all about, at my most optimistic I would say I'm at about 10% at the moment.

If, and when, I feel I'm starting to understand how the whole thing works and flows together (when I'm maybe at say 40%), I would certainly consider taking it to a track. Have done a few track days to date in other cars, so know I have a really long way to go before I can do credit to the GT3 on a track. Embarassed

MJA911
Magny-Cours

2012 Porsche 991 Carrera

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good plan. Took me a while to take my GT3 to a track and found myself being let past everything else for one of the sessions, didn’t expect that, I was just trying to do the basics as well as possible. Incredible machines.

m119cars
Monza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ911 wrote:
MJA911 wrote:

Good question. Laughing

Reckon on my long journey to understand what the GT3 is all about, at my most optimistic I would say I'm at about 10% at the moment.

If, and when, I feel I'm starting to understand how the whole thing works and flows together (when I'm maybe at say 40%), I would certainly consider taking it to a track. Have done a few track days to date in other cars, so know I have a really long way to go before I can do credit to the GT3 on a track. Embarassed

I would say do it as soon as you can, I learnt so much more about the car in one evening on track than I had in the previous 2000 miles.

They are so good and come alive on track, I was initially very nervous of 500bhp and rear drive but the car is both supremely capable and very forgiving, the electronics really do look after you. On many occasions it let me get away with things that I’m sure other cars would have had me facing backwards in the gravel.

The only problem I had was the noise limit, and that’s with a stock system!!!
930. Big hips, big spoiler

The return of Marty Wild
Suzuka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car looks incredible and what a story, what was he doing there?

Cayman S 987.1

Last edited by The return of Marty Wild on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

DRZ911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The return of Marty Wild wrote:

Walter was over at the invitation of Déjà Vu Motorsport who had arranged a 2-day rally based around the Titanic Quarter in Belfast.

The new local OPC is just around the corner from the Titanic Centre, so the OPC offered to facilitate an evening meet-and-greet event for DVM who had invited Walter over as a guest. By sheer coincidence, I happened to be picking the GT3 up at the same time. Laughing

Got to say that I feel so very privileged to have met Walter. He was a real gent and certainly deserves his nicknames of The Human Computer and Genius On Wheels. worship

For me, he turned a very memorable hand-over of a GT car into an unforgettable once-in-a-lifetime event. Cloud 9

titanicdejavu.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.8 KB
 Viewed:  877 Time(s)

titanicdejavu.jpg

911UK
Porsche Community
Porsche Community

1997 Porsche 993 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ911 wrote:
The return of Marty Wild wrote:

Walter was over at the invitation of Déjà Vu Motorsport who had arranged a 2-day rally based around the Titanic Quarter in Belfast.

The new local OPC is just around the corner from the Titanic Centre, so the OPC offered to facilitate an evening meet-and-greet event for DVM who had invited Walter over as a guest. By sheer coincidence, I happened to be picking the GT3 up at the same time. Laughing

Got to say that I feel so very privileged to have met Walter. He was a real gent and certainly deserves his nicknames of The Human Computer and Genius On Wheels. worship

For me, he turned a very memorable hand-over of a GT car into an unforgettable once-in-a-lifetime event. Cloud 9

WOW Thumb Thumb Thumb Thumb

FOLLOW 911UK ON FACEBOOK

Cheib
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats OP...they're fantastic cars and definitely a car that the more mileage you do the more you appreciate it ! You absolutely have to get it on track to really see what it can do. I was lucky enough to get a new allocation so did my half day at the PEC and have subsequently with PCGB done another half day at the PEC in my own car.

I am going to use one of the PEC instructors to have some price tuition and also go back and do something called a Precision Day at the PEC which is mostly on the main circuit in your own car.

Next year I want to do some road trips.

Oh and great choice of colour....GT3's just wear the bright colours so well. Mine is Lava Orange which is I think pretty much the least popular colour.
Lava Orange 991.2 GT3 Manual
Sport Classic Grey Macan Turbo PP

Y2K
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. Meeting Mr Rohrl and having him sign the car. Super Cool Cool Cool

pzero
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great story OP. Having Walter sign your car must be akin to having Pele signing your football boots. (Other sporting analogies are available)
worship

david_yorkshire
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

left foot brake...

DRZ911 wrote:

DRZ911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m119cars wrote:
I would say do it as soon as you can, I learnt so much more about the car in one evening on track than I had in the previous 2000 miles.

They are so good and come alive on track, I was initially very nervous of 500bhp and rear drive but the car is both supremely capable and very forgiving, the electronics really do look after you. On many occasions it let me get away with things that I’m sure other cars would have had me facing backwards in the gravel.

The only problem I had was the noise limit, and that’s with a stock system!!!

Great advice and very reassuring. Thumb

Yes, the standard exhaust is aural-tastic!!! - don't know how they got it homologated for road use. Very Happy

DRZ911
Barcelona

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david_yorkshire wrote:
left foot brake...

Thanks David. Thumb

Currently trying left foot on the brake, or pulling on the electronic brake on every slope. Both are a bit like trying to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time. Very Happy

Will hopefully get better with time and develop a technique. Embarassed

Magic919
Österreich

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put on the handbrake and just drive off?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: