Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any advise on repairing a Rev Counter

sherman7

Hi all

So I'm pretty sure my Rev counter has gave up due to getting over volted from my voltage regulator going bad. I've check the purple cable at the back and it's getting varying voltages depending on the Revs I give it which makes me think it's the gauge that's not working. I've opened the gauge and can't see anything wrong or any components that look cooked. Are there any parts that commonly go that I could try changing?

Thanks

The closest diagram i could find is below ..

Violet black wire is the signal wire from the transducer .. this will have a varying voltage but i cant say by how much .

Red/black will be a 12 volt feed with brown being the earth .. you need to check these but if ok and a varing voltage on the black / violet then it does indeed sound like the gauge is faulty .

At work they get sent off for repair but im afraid i dont know where .. google is your friend there .

Quick google and i found this ..

http://www.reapautomotivedesign.com/gauge-restoration.php

Cant say anything about them though , just a google search .

Attachments

• rev_1_835.jpg
    rev_1_835.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 10,675
Thanks for that demort, I had come across reap while searching myself and have heard good things about them. I was hoping to have a go repairing it myself I expect it's only a few pence worth in parts. I'll have a proper look when I get time and report back. i was just hoping someone had already repaired one themselves and could advise.

Sorry young man .. we just send them away so ive never really looked inside of one.

Have a good look for any dry solder joints though , pretty common fault on older electrics and ive fixed one or two items on control units over the years by resoldering them .

Well that didn't go well! Knackered the mechanism trying to get the needle off :x guess it's shopping time for a new gauge if anyone has one for sale?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back