Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT brake testing AWD cars

Alex

Car went in for its MOT yesterday......and passed with no advisories :)

I asked my mechanic about the brakes and he said "The test centre doesn't brake test them on the rollers due to it being an AWD car and only single roller set-up". He reckons they never test any 4x4s and just pass them (unless they see a visual problem). Must admit I was quite shocked.

Has anyone else heard this?

legally they should, use the old fashioned Tap meter on a road test to check efficiency. This sits in the passenger foot well and records the rate of retardation.

Hand brakes can still be checked on the rollers, but you should not use then for 4 wheel drive cars.

To do it you do need a section of road you know is going to be quiet...

The last thing my tester does is to take the car off the ramps and drive it up the private road opposite. He accelerates to about 30 mph and hits the brakes hard with his hands off the wheel.

I'm always there to witness the event but as he has a DB9 himself I do trust him anyway.

Trantorman said:
legally they should, use the old fashioned Tap meter on a road test to check efficiency. This sits in the passenger foot well and records the rate of retardation.

Hand brakes can still be checked on the rollers, but you should not use then for 4 wheel drive cars.

To do it you do need a section of road you know is going to be quiet...
^This. It's what the MOT garage in my village did with my 996tt every year. Should never be done on the rollers.

My turbo had its brakes tested on the rollers for the last 3 MOT`s.

Whereas when I had a Nissan 350z they tested it using the old box in the passenger seat method on the road as it had a LSD fitted.

I was under the impression that the MOT computer advised the tester of things like this when they logon and enter the cars details.

The garage across the road from me road tests every car that they mot.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back