Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Turbo Oil in intercooler bottom house - Turbo refurbs

kam

Hi
Had a engine light come on, code pointed to mafs.

Took the y pipe off and noticed oil on left side silicone hose and throttle body.

Passenger side bottom inercooler hose had nearly half a mug full of black oil.

Anyone else had the same issue, is the turbo at fault. Cars done 30k.

Thanks.

Carburettor? My Dad used to talk about those. It sounds like you have a problem with an oil seal in your turbo. The air goes through the filter, through the turbo and then through the intercooler. If it has oil in the it has come from the turbo. Time for an upgrade :D

MC

MisterCorn said:
Carburettor? My Dad used to talk about those. It sounds like you have a problem with an oil seal in your turbo. The air goes through the filter, through the turbo and then through the intercooler. If it has oil in the it has come from the turbo. Time for an upgrade :D

MC

I am a old timer! :lol: throttle body!

Thanks for the reply, thought it may be the case. Will get both turbos refurbished.

It seems to be quite common as I found quite a bit in my N/S intercooler pipe when I was stripping mine down. Asked Demort about it and he said it's nothing to worry about, so I bolted it all back together and it was fine.
One word of caution, make sure your hose is 'snapped' into place securely when re-assembling as mine popped off the first time I booted it!
Also while your there check your turbo actuator rods, it's not the rods themselves that corrode but the tiny snap ring inside the ball joint, they're a relatively cheap fix but a bit of ball ache to fit!

easternjets said:
It seems to be quite common as I found quite a bit in my N/S intercooler pipe when I was stripping mine down. Asked Demort about it and he said it's nothing to worry about, so I bolted it all back together and it was fine.
One word of caution, make sure your hose is 'snapped' into place securely when re-assembling as mine popped off the first time I booted it!
Also while your there check your turbo actuator rods, it's not the rods themselves that corrode but the tiny snap ring inside the ball joint, they're a relatively cheap fix but a bit of ball ache to fit!

Hi
Thanks for the reply.

Going to have both refurbished.

Understand re the hoses!, all is clean no corrosion. Car only done 29k, don't use it every day...

Good luck with the refurbishment, not sure that the 997 turbos are done by many people :dont know:

My turbo housings were badly corroded and I ended up having to have new ones.

Ken posted something recently about this ......

hedgehogsdad said:
Good luck with the refurbishment, not sure that the 997 turbos are done by many people :dont know:

You are right, couple of places would not touch them.

Mine are in great condition, have contacted Turbo Dynamics in Devon. Will see how I get on....

I can get them refurbed and upgraded for you if you need.

You will have fun getting them off due to corroded studs and nuts. I highly recommend replacing all studs and nuts with titanium versions once it's all off.

M

Mezgerite said:
I can get them refurbed and upgraded for you if you need.

You will have fun getting them off due to corroded studs and nuts. I highly recommend replacing all studs and nuts with titanium versions once it's all off.

M

Thanks for the offer, all in hand!

Not to much corrosion on mine...

kam said:
hedgehogsdad said:

Mine are in great condition, have contacted Turbo Dynamics in Devon. Will see how I get on....

I can't remember who I spoke to but as you say, lot's of people won't go near them. I thought that it might have been Turbo Dynamics but having checked my old emails it turned out to be Turbo Solutions instead. They were very helpful but just explained that they couldn't sort them for me.

Hope you get sorted

hedgehogsdad said:
kam said:
hedgehogsdad said:

I can't remember who I spoke to but as you say, lot's of people won't go near them. I thought that it might have been Turbo Dynamics but having checked my old emails it turned out to be Turbo Solutions instead. They were very helpful but just explained that they couldn't sort them for me.

Hope you get sorted

Turbo Dev will not repair them, going to use Turbo Dynamics in Devon.
My units are very clean, should be sorted soon.. Thank you!

Response from Turbo Dynamics....

Your turbochargers look to be in excellent condition, much better than what we normally see from Porsche engines! We can service and rebuild your turbochargers starting at £195 + VAT per turbo, depending on condition of the units supplied. This includes a full inspection, clean, seals and bearing overhaul with full balance and flow testing. This price may vary if any components need to be replaced. It is highly advisable that both turbochargers are serviced at the same time and our current turnaround time is 5 – 10 working days.

That amount of oil has to come from somewhere , you get a small amout but not half a mug full !

Turbos being the most obvious with the left side seeming to have failed .

The oil would have blown up with the air intake and contaminated the mafs hence the fault code for maf sensors i assume ... ive seen it several times on Cayennes im afraid .

Youll need to clean your maf sensors as well .

Not sure if the 997.1 is the same as the 996T, but there is an oil tank breather line that vents into the passenger side hose, I believe. This could be the source of the oil if that is the case. Worth a check if nothing else.

deMort said:
That amount of oil has to come from somewhere , you get a small amout but not half a mug full !

Turbos being the most obvious with the left side seeming to have failed .

The oil would have blown up with the air intake and contaminated the mafs hence the fault code for maf sensors i assume ... ive seen it several times on Cayennes im afraid .

Youll need to clean your maf sensors as well .

Was amazed of how much oil came out!. Have flushed the intercooler, installed new mafs.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back