Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Build quality!

ian_alex

I have just spent a day removing all the under trays and wheel arch liners of my neighbours 997 Gen 2 simply to check out the condition of everything.
I know that my 04 996 C2 had all the usual issues eg corroded brake pipes, leaking RMS, rusty hose clips, corroded steering pipe connections etc and wanted to be sure his was OK.
I was surprised and pleased to note that Porsche have really improved things in the 5 years until his car was built, waxy coating on all pipes, no rust on coolant clips etc. in fact it was absolutely pristine apart from a build up of road dirt behind the rear liners which is to be expected. Even allowing for the low mileage (25k) it is 9 years old, very impressed!
It also seems that there is a good deal more headspace above the engine, it looks as though it would be easier to access many things when necessary.
I felt I had to do it as I had advised him which model to look for and then to choose a good one, just hope it doesn't go pop any day soon!!!

I agree. The build quality of these cars seems to be excellent. I've had a chance to have a good old nosey at the underside of my car when it was at Centre Gravity getting a Geo set up done. I was surprised as to how clean it was. The only issues I could see was the usual suspects of the rear brakes, wheel nuts and the exhaust hardware. Otherwise it is beautiful and clean. Whilst Chris was under there he applied a bunch of stuff to further resist moisture issues.
All in all happy days :thumb:

Ian , so nice to see a positive thread about the 997. most only post when its broken :grin: I do like to read posts like "took my 997 for a drive today and just bloody lovely" they are lovely cars most of the time. :thumb: :thumb:

Gen 2 due to the lower mainifold are actually easier to work on .. once you get the hang of R&R the intake mainifold.

The only real bug bear is the exhaust fixings .. the newer the car and the faster they rot out with 991 being the shortest ... that is still poor .

Brakes pipes are far better now though .. better protection and far better routeing of the pipes to help protect them .

Body work has always been pretty good on 911 from 986/996 onwards with only the odd example going rusty .

Over all a quality car .. if they were that bad i wouldn,t have time to answer all the problems here :D

deMort said:
Gen 2 due to the lower mainifold are actually easier to work on .. once you get the hang of R&R the intake mainifold.

The only real bug bear is the exhaust fixings .. the newer the car and the faster they rot out with 991 being the shortest ... that is still poor .

Brakes pipes are far better now though .. better protection and far better routeing of the pipes to help protect them .

Body work has always been pretty good on 911 from 986/996 onwards with only the odd example going rusty .

Over all a quality car .. if they were that bad i wouldn,t have time to answer all the problems here :D

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: I like that reply Iain :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back