Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tools and spanners - what is best?

eabeukes

I'm after buying some tools to look after my 996. My ex took pretty much everyting I used to have, and I replaced them ad-hoc with cheap crap from Wilko etc.

What tools would you reccomend I buy, and are there any brands of tool that are more bias towards a semi-pro setting (so they last longer than 2 years and are not made of chocolate)?

Lots of excellent makes of tools out there, some being very expensive and designed to last a life-time of daily use.

Like me, if you are only an occasional user, have found this Halford's Advanced set of tools to be very handy indeed - even better, it is frequently discounted in sales to around the £200 mark and has a life-time guarantee :-

www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/too...nced-200-piece-socket-and-ratchet-spanner-set

:yeah: I use them for most of my tools. If any have failed they have been swapped no questions asked. The sets still include a load of useless imperial stuff though.

MC

I can also say the Halfords Adv stuff is good, I have given mine a hard time and have had it for about 5 years and only recently I had to take two items back.

The large extension bar had an issue and a torx bit broke, both replaced no questions asked.

Unless you want to pay quite a bit more, the Halfords tools are still the benchmark. Other than the odd ratchet, nothing has gone wrong for me.

I have had my Halfords advanced set for over 20 years now and like others have said I never had problems with replacement parts if they break. It's a bit like Triggers brush but still going strong.

Agree with all above.

If you have a workshop franchise with say, Scania, then yes- set up an account with Snap-On or similar. But for the home garage enthusiast Halfords stuff is perfectly adequate.

:thumbs: Thanks everyone - I'll keep an eye out for the sale version in that case!

Another vote for Halfords Advanced stuff (don't pay full price, it's frequently discounted). Broke an extension and the changed it no problem even without proof of purchase.

I have a mixed bag (box) of tools and buy expensive for ones that will get some real hammer but I mostly like Teng tools, mine have stood the test of time and have a lifetime guarantee (although this has never been needed) and one of my most heavily used plastic ratchets I have had for nearly 30 years without even a single service.

Britool
Teng
Draper
Sealey

All good tools .. what you dont need are Snap-on .. thats aimed more at people like me than the general user .

I would also include Mac and Facom in the not needed list .

Something that is in use many times a day then snap-on is justified .. the occasional use and its not .

Your question should also be .. what tools do i actually need :D

Most of my stuff is Halfords Advanced/Professional and I`m an engineer by trade :thumb:

The only issue I have with the Halfords socket sets is that you have to place a bit of foam between the top and bottom of the case to stop the small stuff falling out of their places :frustrated:

I used to have some Teng stuff too, which is really good but doesn`t seem to be readily available these days. :nooo:

I started building up a set of tools from Teng a few years ago, very good quality for the enthusiast
I have 3/8 and 1/4 socket sets, metric spanners, screw drivers, ratchet drives and they have been very reliable and durable

Lots of teng in my collection and I am engineer by trade.
The only exception are my snap on 18v impact gun and 12v test light.

Years ago I realised I needed a smaller socket set to work on my jet ski, I literally couldn't understand how people actually did jobs because no sockets fitted in the space ! :sad:

In the end I discovered quarter inch set - What a divvy :floor:

Anyway, bought a Halfords Pro ratchet, set of extension bars and about 8 sockets in sizes to meet my needs plus a socket holder.

25 years on, I still love that set and use it weekly, talk about value for money !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back