Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Turbo

wildej

Spa-Francorchamps
Only had my tip Turbo for a few months but just cant get along with it.
Yes it's mega quick but doesn't offer much drama to me and it's a bit soulless, never thought I say that about a 911 Turbo but really preferred my previous C4S.
The tip box doesn't help coming from 2 previous 997s with PDK so I'm looking at either a 997 GTS or a 991.1 Carrera S.
I'm not too fussed on whats going to hold it's money the best just want to know what peoples thoughts are on these ?
Do I need to give the Turbo more time to get to appreciate it ?

Cheers
Jon

I came from a manual 4S to a 997 turbo tip and immediately loved it! It just felt special to me. I came from a C2 man 996 and honest I preferred that to the 4S. I've driven a 4S pdk 991 and still preferred my turbo!

Beauty of life, we are all different :thumbs:

Sell it on and get something you are happier driving. Spend time at a few OPC's and test a few motors that you think you might like and go from there.

Personally, it was all about the manual box for me when I bought my 997T and took one over the .2 PDK that I could have probably stretched to. A tip' wouldn't have entered the equation so maybe it's just the old tech that isn't ever really going to do it for you?

Maybe it's just the turbo thing :dont know:

Some prefer NA cars to Turbo'd cars :driving:

:thumb:

wildej said:
Yes it's mega quick but doesn't offer much drama to me and it's a bit soulless, never thought I say that about a 911 Turbo but really preferred my previous C4S.
The tip box doesn't help coming from 2 previous 997s with PDK so I'm looking at either a 997 GTS or a 991.1 Carrera S.
I'm not too fussed on whats going to hold it's money the best just want to know what peoples thoughts are on these ?

Cheers
Jon

I've been desperate for a turbo for so long, but now I want a 997 or 991 GTS, there's just something about a GTS that a turbo does to have, partlculary the sound :thumb:

spongebob squarepants said:
wildej said:

Cheers
Jon

I've been desperate for a turbo for so long, but now I want a 997 or 991 GTS, there's just something about a GTS that a turbo does to have, partlculary the sound :thumb:

Hmm SB,

I agree re the sound, and the GTS is in itself a beautiful iteration , I love them ... and could be / have been tempted that way .. but the reason for The Turbo existing is that The Turbo has what the Carreras don't have ......
The effect on the Sphincter muscle at full boost ( in Sport / Sport Plus, actually even in Normal mode! ) , that is almost indescribable without tending to launch into the usual superlatives .....

OP,

I agree with you entirely on the Turbo tip...

I had one back in 08 , had it for 1 year 4k miles , didn't get along with it either, the tip box was the culprit, I tend to think that I would have been happy with a manual ...

sold it , bought Gen 1 Gt3 then Gen 2 GT3 's... since sold the Gt3 gen 2 for the Turbo S PDK ..... totally different beast from the tip and really , totally suits the Turbo performance , no issues whatsoever....
I resolved the muted sound with the Kline Inconel exhaust and recommend that option....

but I would venture , ditch he Turbo tip and buy a car you want ASAP before it sours your relationship with the marque..... go for the 997 GTS, its a great car , and you will probably get what you are looking for in it ...

T

My colleague had a 9971 Turbo tiptronic, and, as long as he had his foot down, it took like a scalded cat, but it did need to be driven with some enthusiasm (in other words, you need to 'drive around' the gearbox).

And according to the security guards at the gate, you could hear me coming from further away... :grin:

I feel your pain, I went from a 997 gen 2 pdk to a tip turbo.
The power is amazing the sound is like tumble weed going past, I changed the exhaust to a kline and I fell in love with it again so that might help you.
But I wish It was a manual or pdk, it also all depends if you want to mod it or not good luck. :thumb:

Having had a 997 Turbo Tip I can relate to what you are saying. The performance is beyond question, but the standard exhaust sound does little to please. Moving from a PDK to Tip must feel like a huge backwards step, but the Tip box can be provoked into action and it can complement the power at times, although it will never be as keen as a PDK.

N/A cars will more than deliver in 90% of cases, but there's always that 10% when you want the shove that only a Turbo can deliver. It comes down to what makes you happier I suppose.

Wildej, I had exactly the same dilemma. Always wanted a Turbo, bought a tip thinking I would grow to like it and never did, to me it was 1960's tech in a supercar and for the way I drive it just didn't work.
Sold the car, bought a gen 2 with PDK and it's a totally different car, better to drive, quieter inside on the road and the PDK box is about the best I've ever used.
A friend has a manual gen 1 and that to me always felt quicker than my tip.
I wanted to sell mine and two separate dealers I spoke to said the exact same thing, the Gen 2 997 Turbo is the best car in the whole range, their words not mine.

having had a tip box , I do get the issue , the problem with the tip box is its ability to learn your driving style which is a good concept unless you live in the UK our roads are so busy and are town traffic so slow the tip learns a very lazy style ,this can be reset with a hard kick down but quickly relearns the lazy style. so what you need is something to fool the tip box into thinking your driving more aggressivly that you actually are most of the time this will keep the box alert and increase your enjoyment ,so what you need is a sprint booster they are only £150 ish quid and the transformation to the tip box is very very noticable. there are two types the older style which had 3 settings and a small control unit ond the newer multiple setting type , I used the older one and was able to locate the controller in the unused ashtray so it was out of site but flip the lid and the buttons were there . I drove it almost all the time in green mode and used red mode some of the time. its well worth trying for the sake of £150 it may just change your opinion of the car.
next the exhaust the problem with the turbo its a stealth fighter ,super quick but so quiet theres no drama. The sports car sound is intoxicating and adds greatly to the enjoyment of driving a sports car in stock form the turbo doesnt do this but there are dozens of different exhaust options available from £1500 to £6000 IMO the more expensive Akrapovik it one of the best sounding but they are a lot of money . what you need to do is listen to some you tube footage as some are quite stock pottering around and come to life when you boot it ,others are aggressive all the time so shortlist the ones you like on the internet vids then post up see whos got one fitted and see if you can have a listen outside and inside when driving to be sure its what you like. also adding 200cell cats with make you even quicker lol. so before you give up on the Turbo have a look at those options as it may just make the car what you hoped it would be and fix the couple of things you feel let down your enjoyment of the car. try the sprint booster first as its cheap if that gets you starting to enjoy the tip box then look at making your stelth fighter sound more like a euro fighter :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb:

I have little experience of driving a tip but I did do 4 Supercars in a day thingy a few years back and I remember telling everyone at the time that the tip 911 wasn't for me and was super disappointing !

As to the manual Turbo I have no complaints :drive:

Well apart from the cost of fresh underpants :grin:

Phil 997 said:
IMO the more expensive Akrapovik it one of the best sounding but they are a lot of money

One for sale in the classifieds me thinks...not sure if 997.1 though :dont know:

HSC911 said:
Phil 997 said:
IMO the more expensive Akrapovik it one of the best sounding but they are a lot of money

One for sale in the classifieds me thinks...not sure if 997.1 though :dont know:

saw it Jin, think it was for gen2 :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back