Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlight motor

frenchtony

I thought I had already posted this but apparently not!

I have the headlight adjustment warning, I've found out that the motors in the headlights are missing!

My question is can I simply get the motors and fit them. My car is LHD and has been fitted with US spec lights, maybe they dont have the motors?

See the attached pictures, my headlights seem to have the motor attachment plate and the actuator, the motors I have found have the actuators attached, I'm looking for help on fitting the motors please

post looks a bit weird.... maybe I'll get the hang of it?

[/img]

Attachments

• 20180730_114249_187.jpg
    20180730_114249_187.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 2,544
  • 20180730_101145_757.jpg
    20180730_101145_757.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,544
  • screen_shot_2018_07_30_at_130610_146.png
    screen_shot_2018_07_30_at_130610_146.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 2,544
not something ive seen before but from the pictures the headlights have been altered to have no motors .. the blank plate is to stop the unit moveing around .. the beam would be up and down like a yo-yo without it.

I take it you bought the car with this fault as it cant just have happened ? .

Normally if something like this was done then it should be coded to not have HBA ( the motors )

I would have thought that codeing it off might be the better solution to be honest .

You need to have the sensors fitted to the coffin arms so if they have been removed then theres no point fitting these motors .

To fit them then the blank needs to be removed .. it should be a couple of small screws and the ball joint fitting into the socket .

I still think having the system coded off if possible might be the way forward .

Attachments

• headlight_sensor_262.jpg
    headlight_sensor_262.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 2,460
headlight motors missing

Thanks for the great response, I do have the sensors fitted to the coffin arms. I've bought one motor, hoping it will fit ok, I guess the mystery is why are they missing, my theory is that the headlights were switched to rhd at some point, then switched back to these US spec ones that never had the motors. I could get it coded as you say (I'm guessing HBA is the same as halogen headlights?) but it would be good to get it working properly,

HBA - headlight beam adjust.

Would another option be to source some bi_xenon lhd units with HBA?

jonno_ said:
HBA - headlight beam adjust.

Would another option be to source some bi_xenon lhd units with HBA?

Thank you young man .. im so used to the Porsche abreviations i forget they are not normal terms ..

Off to hang my head in shame .. wanders off muttering .. stupid .. grumble ..kicks stone ...

headlamp beam adjustment fault. almost fixed

Here is an almost final update:-
I drilled out the centre of the dummy motor mounts and removed the ball adjuster. The motors I fitted went in perfectly. The wiring existed and I plugged it in. Now the lights go up and down like they are supposed to hooray! The beams are higher and in a better place rather than melting the tarmac in front!

I still have "Headlamp Beam Adjustment fault" in the dash.

I tried disconnecting the battery and waiting but the alarm is still there.

From googling I think the next step is to calibrate the headlights but I don't know how to do this. I also need to read the fault codes. I have a durametric version 3 but it doesn't show any relevant faults.

Would anyone know the module that controls these headlights?

Attachments

• porsche_fault_codes__1_134.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__1_134.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 2,063
  • porsche_fault_codes__6_498.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__6_498.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,063
  • porsche_fault_codes__2_109.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__2_109.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,063
  • porsche_fault_codes__7_390.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__7_390.jpg
  • porsche_fault_codes__3_529.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__3_529.jpg
  • porsche_fault_codes__8_154.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__8_154.jpg
  • porsche_fault_codes__4_196.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__4_196.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,063
  • porsche_fault_codes__5_102.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__5_102.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,063
headlamp beam adjustment fault. almost fixed

durametric pics again

Attachments

• porsche_fault_codes__1_554.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__1_554.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,027
  • porsche_fault_codes__2_700.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__2_700.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 2,027
  • porsche_fault_codes__3_149.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__3_149.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 2,027
  • porsche_fault_codes__4_111.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__4_111.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 2,027
  • porsche_fault_codes__5_228.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__5_228.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 2,027
  • porsche_fault_codes__6_332.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__6_332.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 2,027
  • porsche_fault_codes__7_108.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__7_108.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 2,027
  • porsche_fault_codes__8_149.jpg
    porsche_fault_codes__8_149.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 2,027
Headlamp beam adjustment fault.now fixed

Finally
I now have a FOXWELLNT510 Pro multi system scanner and its marvellous, see it here https://www.foxwelltech.com/product/item-169.html about £150 its a great alternative to durametric and PIWIS

I was able to read the fault codes which showed the front compression sensor was faulty, this had already been changed. I coded the system to show it has halogen headlamps and obviously the fault cleared.

I then coded it back to xenon and noticed there were now two settings for halogen, I changed them both to xenon and the lights move up and down like they should and the warning has cleared, lets hope it stays that way.

5 minutes later warning is back!!!! still on the case then :-(

BTW I have no affiliation to foxwell

You have a few strange fault codes there ..

Car is a manual cabriolet with a non standard radio fitted im guessing .

If you have the child seat deativation kit fitted then the consol light isnt working .

Fault code for front sensor so that would seem to be the fault but you have replaced it ?

Try removing the connector on the front sensor, look for bent pins or green at the base of the pins in the sensor .. corrosion / water ingress in other words .

On the tester i use you can see an actual value for front and rear sensors .. we basically jack the car up and watch the sensors alter .

If you can see this then the sensors are ok and it just needs calibrateing .. again done on a tester and then you have to manually adjust the lights to the correct height.

I suspect your fault due to the code is actually a broken wire from the sensor to the control unit which is perhaps why the headlights were.. " adjusted " .. motors removed .

hedlamp beam adjustment fault

Thanks very much fr the reply, actually the car is a coupe tiptronic!

I have a tester that also shows the live values, they change when i move the suspension up and down, so I think the sensor is ok, I have had the connector off and cleaned the contacts in any case.

My tester also has a calibration option but it doesn't seem to do anything maybe I'll speak to the folks at FOXWELL.

Is there a particular way to calibrate. I can disable the xenon option to clear the fault but thats not what I want to do!

I am getting there!

I don't have the child seat deactivation option nor the key lock in the passenger side of the door shut.

A bit strange , code there i would associate with a cab and Tip is not talking to your tester .. anyways moving on ..

The calibrate is activated with a tester , yours might not work but its not one i use so cant say .. all it does is operate the motors up and down and look at the readings from the lvl sensors .

You just press a button to calibrate .. there is no codeing that needs altering .. but it should be coded to the lights you have .

After that you have to manually adjust the lights to get the correct height.

Its been a long time since ive looked at the readings for these but about 1.34 volts rings a bell .. if your front sensor is reading say 4 volts then perhaps the car thinks thats an out of range reading and so flags a code for that sensor.

Check the values and post please ..

Im left with an incorrectly fitted front sensor , a resistance in the wiring from it or a calibration issue ..

My guess atm is its a fault with the front sensor / wiring as you are getting a fault code saying that .

Headlamp beam adjustment now fixed

Thanks ever so much for your help. The voltage readings were indeed a clue. The front was 3.64 and the rear 2.02.

Today after calibrating again I checked the voltage and now the front is 2.3 as I recall. Still had the fault. Went out for a drive and forgot about it, then later I realised it had cleared!

Here's hoping it doesn't come back. Guess I'll need to check the beams against the garage door next.

Another job is to see why the tiptronic isn't responding, guess it must work as the gear indicator and shift buttons are fine.

Thanks again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back