Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Calipers

treefrog99

I decided after viewing under the car at its last MoT to replace the offside front protective plate which was cracked. This seemingly simple task has turned into something of a nightmare. Bearing in mind, that I intend to do/attempt the nearside as well. The job involves, in brief, disconnect wiring, remove caliper, remove disc and unbolt the plate.
As I had a new brake pipe rather than continue to struggle with reluctant brake nuts I cut the brake pipe removed the caliper and removed the protective plate.
I then turned my attention to the two brake nuts, one on the caliper and one on the car. Neither of which I have been successful with undoing. The one on the car I feel I can crack given time however the major problem is the one in the caliper.
As I am sure lots of you are aware steel to aluminium creates a chemical reaction almost as strong as welding them together thus alloy caliper steel brake equals recipe for disaster. The brake nut sheared off flush with the boss even after several hours of heating and freeing spray.
So the question is what to do now.
New caliper £700 approx
Second hand from recyclers £150
Refurbish don't know the cost and does a solid and sheared nut prevent refurbishment.
Any suggestion or advice gratefully received

Call classsic car auto 01625 860910. They are based in Cheshire SK11
They will be able to give you an accurate answer.
I have used them to Refurb calipers in the past, and they have been fantastic in every aspect. (No affiliation) Calipers come back as good as new.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back