Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I like big brakes and I cannot lie

Dammit

I have been intending on swapping to Girodiscs when my OEM rotors/pads wear down, so to that end I called an Indy who supply them over the weekend.

Total cost, fitted, including VAT would be £3,200.

Which set me to wondering- I've used Reylands discs on my old car which had AP Racing brakes, and they offer bells for all cars- if they don't have your pattern they'll make some up.

Unless I'm way off base the Girodisc kit is rotors, bells, bobbins, and spacers to move the radial mount calipers outward- 12mm or so.

You'd need pads of course, but looking at the costs on the Reyland site it would appear that this would be a significantly more affordable option.

What have I missed?

http://www.girodisc.com/Rotors_c_1036.html

http://www.reyland.co.uk/discs/

The Reyland disks look like good value, how much are the bells and fixings?
Are the rear bells correctly formed for the handbrake?

MC

They don't show Porsche on the site so I will give them a ring Monday afternoon to discuss.

From their site:

We're also happy to create kits for you using high quality, good condition calipers previously used on other vehicles - popular options being brake calipers from Porsche, Jaguar and Ferrari.

Custom kits : £Call

Bells: £180-£240 pr

Brackets : £250 pr

Brackets would not be needed, I believe- only spacers, although maybe a single spacer for each caliper would be stiffer.

I was hoping that they were closer and I'd have popped in, but of a way from me though

Attachments

• 9ce42ce0_831e_4d61_b071_ddeb1bde5502_194.png
    9ce42ce0_831e_4d61_b071_ddeb1bde5502_194.png
    605.8 KB · Views: 4,755
Dammit said:
I was hoping that they were closer and I'd have popped in, but of a way from me though

Yeh, 20 miles from me as well. 😄

I run Giro Discs, front & rear. - They are excellent and made a marked difference over standard - I track and had previously considered a big brake conversation, however standard callipers, RS29, Giro, GT3 Ducts and RBF660 are more than up to prolonged use.

If you want pictures, measurements or info let me know.

Are you looking to copy the Giros? The reason I ask is that when my rotors need changing it would be good if I could source locally and re-use the Giro bells.

Dammit, the 3.2k Seems a lot of cash compared to a ksport/ D2 bbk setup which is cheaper and you get new calipers discs bells pads lines, etc all round

crash7 said:
I run Giro Discs, front & rear. - They are excellent and made a marked difference over standard - I track and had previously considered a big brake conversation, however standard callipers, RS29, Giro, GT3 Ducts and RBF660 are more than up to prolonged use.

If you want pictures, measurements or info let me know.

Are you looking to copy the Giros? The reason I ask is that when my rotors need changing it would be good if I could source locally and re-use the Giro bells.

Thanks for the offer- that's really handy.

I'm interested in whether the best route is to import this stuff from the US or whether a U.K. supplier can come up with the same stuff.

It may be that I end up buying Girodiscs when I'm in the US next, but the FX situation doesn't make that the great idea it used to be.

I like the idea of keeping my calipers- I've just had them refurbished- and I have GT3 ducts, so the floating rotors and caliper standoff's seem a good way forward. £3,200 simply strikes me as a lot.

I bought in the US. - Should you want details PM me.

Fitted myself, very easy, all in cost was circa £1500, which was palatable, particularly as I am very pleased with the performance.

As a side note they also look better, as they are physically bigger, and they weigh less than standard discs.

£3200 however is a big chunk of change.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back