Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

door seals

Mark w

Had the dilema of justifying between £800 and £1000 for 2 geniune door seals for the car :eek:
just coudnt do it, after reading a few peoples comments on the use of 964 door seals I thought I'd give it a try as they were only £19.99 each side from Design911!

fitted them last night took me all of 15 mins to do both and I have to say they fitted perfectly the doors shuts with almost identical pressure just need to take it out this evening to ensure the they are sealing all the way round and (no wind noise) but expect them to be fine as they are a little thicker that the original 993 seals.

I have added some pictures below of the original verses 964 seals to show the difference between them but for the price its tidied the door appertures and makes all the difference.

I'll come back on the raod trial after I've done it this evening!

Attachments

• img_8246_160.jpg
    img_8246_160.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 6,053
  • img_8245_172.jpg
    img_8245_172.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 6,053
  • img_8244_531.jpg
    img_8244_531.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 6,053
  • img_8243_191.jpg
    img_8243_191.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 6,053
Hi - I managed to bag some original ones earlier in the year for a reasonable price.
As yet though I haven't fitted them as the originals seem to have some kind of glue holding them in. Did you remove the glue, and if so how and with what?
And did you then use glue to refit?

Kind regards,

Jamie.

They have regular impact adhesive holding them in place from factory. It pulls away and cleans up quite reasonably. It's the same stuff as used all over them to hold trim and carpet in place.

I am lucky too then as I have replacement 993 seals on mine.

any luck with the 964 seals?

I need the same job as a bit of wind noise driver side at higher speeds.

Seals

Good news was out last night in the car no wind noise and got caught in the the thunder storm which proves they let in no water, had another look this morning and all nice and dry, so all in all a good buy at an incredibly lower price!

Great news, well done!

I used 964 seals on my first 993, had no problems whatsoever. From what I remember, the only difference was the slightly ribbed profile (993 seals are smoother) - oh, and the massive price difference.
No wind noise, and a good seal against water. If anything, a little better - though that could have been that the old 993 seals were properly shot!

When I had the bodywork done on my current 993 - 9m just used all 993 parts, so the cost was lost in the massive bill anyway :nooo:

Result, thanks for the info. Would be rude not to renew my original looking seals for that price.
I can see Design911 having a bit of a run on these... :thumb:

C.

Is anyone using a rubber preserver/protector to keep them in rude health?
If so what do you use recommend?

This is a fantastic discovery at 95% off!!

Can someone give me the part number for the 2 seals left and right?

Thanks ;)

Door seals, now there's a topic, what a liberty.

Door seals on a Targa are even more important than a coupe as they have a thick section that if not 100% looks incredible tatty and for me ruins the experience so I HAD to replace mine. I managed to get one from eBay £100 brand new in original bag from chap who hadn't fitted and the other from OPC who only charged me for a coupe model. So go them both for £500 all in, but what a joke.

Interested to hear how the 964 version works out, how do they justify that sort of price difference?.

Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Door seals, now there's a topic, what a liberty.

Door seals on a Targa are even more important than a coupe as they have a thick section that if not 100% looks incredible tatty and for me ruins the experience so I HAD to replace mine. I managed to get one from eBay £100 brand new in original bag from chap who hadn't fitted and the other from OPC who only charged me for a coupe model. So go them both for £500 all in, but what a joke.

Interested to hear how the 964 version works out, how do they justify that sort of price difference?.

Trev

Just checked and door seals for a cabriolet are £450.00 plus Vat but at least you get 2 in 1 so only £225.00 each side but still silly money compared with the 964 price. I thought the Targa would use the same seals and then have additional rubber seals in the roof but not the case as I have just found out. Porsche know these cars are going up in value and they want to be at the party :x

ATB :)

seals

Hi Adrian

they are the same seal for left and right on the 964.

attached shows the part number and price from Design 911 :thumb:

Attachments

• design_911_993_964_door_seals_502.jpg
    design_911_993_964_door_seals_502.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 5,581

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back