Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How cheep does a 911 have to be?

Les

Some of you know I'm selling my current 911 gen2 PDK cabriolet - a lovely car with nothing wrong with it (as some of you on here have seen it can back me up). I'm only selling it as I'm coming into some inheritance and I'm splashing some cash on a new car.

Anyway:
I checked the normal pricing sites like Cazana etc and they said its worth £34K. So... I'm thinking.... with the few grands worths of extras I've put on it I'd have no problems selling it if I put it up for £32K...... One week later and not one call.

So in a bid to sell it (the dealer holding my next car won't hold it forever), I've dropped it to £29,995 - The cheapest PDK Cab on AutoTrader and five grand less than the next car.

Guess what... Not a single phone call ???? WTF - its dam new 'we-steal-anycar' money.

Have I worded my add wrong or something or are 911's not selling at the moment?

Any advice on the wording etc, much appreciated.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807128377846?make=PORSCHE&model=911

OPC_Portsmouth.jpg
[/url]

Unlucky Les.

I fear that you're simply experiencing Joe Public's concern about buying such a car privately and/or their concern about the 82k miles showing.

Good Luck

I'll be honest I think you had it over priced. Mileage has a huge impact on any car and particularly 911's. without the security of a dealer some still won't go there even at under 30. But I suspect you will sell at that, although despite what many will say the market Is dead.

The link doesnt work for me

Seems very cheap to me. Have webuy any car or similar given you a price?

spongebob squarepants said:
I'll be honest I think you had it over priced. Mileage has a huge impact on any car and particularly 911's. without the security of a dealer some still won't go there even at under 30. But I suspect you will sell at that, although despite what many will say the market Is dead.

My last Gen2 had more mileage on it when I brought it. I sold it on when it had 105K

Although suffice to say, that's a cracking car for the money! Must be someone on here looking? :dont know:

I think the bit about you killing every 911 that you have ever owned won't be doing you many favours with an ad on here :mrgreen:

Les
If we were 6 months or so down, the road, I'd be wanting to have a good look over it. It's for Mrs P and given that's it's got 80k on the clock, we'd happily use it for her daily and holidays. My only concern would be the pdkand replacement cost of one should it go pop. Otherwise it's a lovely car and should be sold already

kas750 said:
I think the bit about you killing every 911 that you have ever owned won't be doing you many favours with an ad on here :mrgreen:

That was mainly the air cooled stuff all apparently 'known issues'. I know they are now worth a bomb and people with beards and sandals love them, but not for me.

Gen2's seem to be pretty much bulletproof. I haven't had to do a thing on my last 2, not even a light bulb. I've just done a standard 5K oil change, and never rev them until the oil is up to temp etc. They have been great.

I'll probably sell my Aston, and will be looking for a Gen2 Turbo next year.

Les, I cant see anything wrong with the ad mate , staggered you have had no calls at under 30k for a gen2 , even the mileage at 82k is only an ave of 8200 miles PA, not sure why we are so scared of mileage in this country its only us brits that seem almost paranoid about it. the ave for a 911 would be 70k so its not even very much over that and no where near the 12k pa ave for most UK cars.

FZP said:
Les
If we were 6 months or so down, the road, I'd be wanting to have a good look over it. It's for Mrs P and given that's it's got 80k on the clock, we'd happily use it for her daily and holidays. My only concern would be the pdkand replacement cost of one should it go pop. Otherwise, it's a lovely car and should be sold already

Pity it's not now, The garage I brought it from would extend the 5 star Warranty for another 12 months for £795+vat and I'd pay half of it if the mileage was a worry for some.

After having 8 Porsche's I know its the low mileage ones you need to worry about. All my issues in the past were low mileage cars - which is why I won't buy one now. I'd rather have one I can drive over one that makes you worry about resale value everytime you start it. Also, the cash I saved is put aside just in case. Man Maths at its best.

Phil 997 said:
Les, I cant see anything wrong with the ad mate , staggered you have had no calls at under 30k for a gen2 , even the mileage at 82k is only an ave of 8200 miles PA, not sure why we are so scared of mileage in this country its only us brits that seem almost paranoid about it. the ave for a 911 would be 70k so its not even very much over that and no where near the 12k pa ave for most UK cars.

Its the same with lots of high spec cars, people pay way over the odds to get a low mileage example, then don't use it because it would affect the price.
Its silly when we all know a Porsche engine that's not used very often is a ticking time bomb.

Works in my favour though. I get a higher mileage car much cheaper, get to have lots of fun driving it every day without worry (even a ford fiesta is built to last a couple of hundred thousand nowadays) then sell it for a small drop in the price. worked up to now. This car though is different though. not had an issue selling one before.

Nothing wrong with your advert, it's just difficult to sell a private car right now or in general.

Most people will want finance or a warranty.

It's a cracking car and it will sell, you just need to be patient.

It took me almost 2 months to sell my Audi TT for £7k.

Phil 997 said:
........... the ave for a 911 would be 70k so its not even very much over that and no where near the 12k pa ave for most UK cars.

Phil. If you're basing that on the research I posted originally in 2015 and updated in 2017 please be aware that I also stated that as cars get older the average per year decreases. I very much doubt that the average mileage for a 11 year old 997 is anything like as high as 70k. Therefore 82k is, sadly, well above average.

Car sales are slow at the moment. And sports car sales are very slow with very little moving (there are of course exceptions, but in the main sales are slow).

I'd say you have it at a very keen price but one week with no calls is no time at all, so try not to be disheartened. Holiday season, kids just finishing school and a current heatwave (although that could help with a cab) are all slowing things down.

Re the ad, for my tuppence, although it may make no difference, I'd state the Full Porsche History earlier in the write up (although "FSH" is stated in the strapline it's worth reiterating early on in the text). And while the crossover pipes and Gundo exhaust mod is recognised among us "connoisseurs" on here, it may just shout "modified" to the wider, Autotrader browsing public, so if it were me I'd delete that and discuss further once someone is already falling in love with the car on your driveway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back