Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 944 - What to look for?

MarkGolf

Hello,

I'm going to view a 944 this week, it's B reg 2.5, guards red with cookie cutters. 74k miles and used very lightly over the last 8 years. Literally just brought out the garage for an mot and service.

Are there any specific checks to be done on these?

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

rust in the sills lower front and rear wings are the main bodywork problems.
Poor sunroof seals and blocked drain tubes

Engine wise pretty solid common problems are sagging engine mounts which can cause rough/lumpy idling, water pumps you can fit the later type I would ask if this has been done and oil/water seperator where the seals can fail.

At that age most of the engine seals can be prone to leak at the front of the balance shafts crank etc.

The timing/balance shaft set up are critical to smooth running

oh and if its red the paint will now be pink :D

good luck

Fairly comprehensive list by Gaz but I would also add to check the electrics all work, some of the wiring can get brittle and make sure the sunroof works as this can be a fiddly job to get 100%, ie broken gears and micro-switches.

With that low mileage I would make sure the brake calipers are all working even, there may be a stuck piston if not in regular use.

Oh, Picture's and thread once it arrives.

As Gaz says, rot! If no rot just buy it 👍🏻

Thanks for the info guys.

The car is in good shape, was an ex PCGB members car who various shows, it has been repainted at some point, to a very good standard so no issue there, bodywork is immaculate. The seats look like they've never been sat in, black half leather with no wear to the bolsters. Quite amazed.

I was due to get it today but it overheated due to a failed fan so the owner was honest and is sorting it out before I take it. Its been dry stored for the last 6 years and the previous owner apparently garaged it.

The only negatives are a cracked dash and needs a service but I would do that anyway. I'm not paying bargain money for the car, probably a bit over market rate if I'm honest but for the sake of a decent rust free body, great interior (minus dash), its worth the premium.

Will update and if/when I get it, a progress thread will follow.

Sounds like a nice early car, i presume a square dash car ? They do suffer from head gasket issues but not a big job and like you say still worth it for a rust free shell, Good used dashes do come up for sale so keep an eye out they are there.

Keep us posted once you have it

It is a square dash.

The seller is really messing me about, upon my 3rd arranged visit he blew out because the garage have the car, it overheated, garage ordered wrong brakes...

So, I'm not overly sure he is being straight with me right now, so I'm giving him until Friday before I pull the plug on the idea.

:dont know: :pc:

A 928 has caught my eye now however..

This is back on, he says..

Garage kept ordering the wrong brakes apparently and then lost the locking wheel nut..

Anyway, fresh MOT and new front brakes.

I was just researching the cost of parts, just in case, HOW MUCH ARE NEW CLUTCHES?!! Jesus, a 997 clutch is cheaper!

MarkGolf said:
This is back on, he says..

Garage kept ordering the wrong brakes apparently and then lost the locking wheel nut..

Anyway, fresh MOT and new front brakes.

I was just researching the cost of parts, just in case, HOW MUCH ARE NEW CLUTCHES?!! Jesus, a 997 clutch is cheaper!

Its a big job too!!!

Many 924's have been scrapped because the cost of clutch replacement was cost prohibitive.

I'm not surprised at that now I know the cost/ I assume they're dusted with Gold flake or something?!

Wow, I'll be giving the clutch a good testing before I hand over £££.

Shocked at that, I guess an old cheap porsche doesn't mean old cheap prices, I expected £150 parts max :floor:

Hey Mark, how do I get a job like yours that enables me to run a fleet of cars including 3 of Stuttgart's finest? :envy:

In all seriousness, 944 are pretty cool, but it's got to be a 928 given the choice.

HAHA, go back in time, don't do what you are told :judge: :floor:

I do like a 928 but finding the right one which doesn't carry an over inflated price tag is hard. I would love one and always keep an eye out.

So the 944 happened last night, I say happened, I just went to see it, finally.

Genuine seller but the car wasn't 100% described as it is.

I'll let the pictures do the talking but I would be interested to hear what you guys think this car is worth before I say what the seller wants.

It's a straight car with tool kit, porsche car cover, cover for the sunroof, tool kit, pump, original tape player, books etc. It has a service book but the pages have got wet and they're stuck together so I didnt attempt to open that, same with paperwork, whole bunch of old paperwork from the stone age, got a bit damp from being in the garage, didn't bother studying it all as it's all old.

The seller has had the car for 6-7 years and literally never driven it, he collects 'odd' cars. It has been inside and that was evident. Just been brought out for MOT's and the odd drive.

It has 79k miles, the engine is silent, I was shocked, no tappety noises or anything, no smoke, engine is 100% spot on.

Engine bay shows no signs of rust

Interior is perfect minus a cracked dash and needing a clean.

Wheels are unmarked and good tyres

Inside the boot, it's all there, spare, pump, retractable cover.

Bodywork, here is where there was disappointment, I was told show condition and it has had a respray but it certainly isn't a show job.

There are runs in odd places (the hard to get a polishing machine areas), it could do with a good flat and polish a few fish eyes which I think would be polished out and a few bits of over spray where trim wasn't removed, some dodgy masking lines where the paint has met masking tape and built up a bit (hate that!).

Then there is rust, not major amounts. Front wing, middle of sill on a join and the other side has a dented sill and little rust at the join. So this would easily be taken care of I think.

Oh, and a dodgy phone aerial!!! Who could allow that to happen!! (I blame the 80's)

See pics.

29122559037_806c731111_z.jpg

44011309962_74d3aef7a7_z.jpg

43341086994_760710ac66_z.jpg

44011309412_311095e4f7_z.jpg

42250562260_f129a34dd7_z.jpg

42250561310_12c91734cd_z.jpg

42250560940_3ca2f1e43a_z.jpg

30191819638_e945910464_z.jpg

43153400945_3ee8d1ce10_z.jpg

43341079144_3488ac83dd_z.jpg

44059310611_91a2388256_z.jpg

44011296252_5a022e0cbc_z.jpg

44059298491_6796322242_z.jpg

44010238772_8f55838ba4_z.jpg

That's it

Ohh, HOW THE HELL DO YOU DRIVE IT?! The steering wheel is ridiculously low!! I'm 6ft1 and my knee was on it.... So that was an extra thorn in my side when thinking about it..

I'm 50/50, not bothered if I don't buy it but I do like it, I just will have my work cut out to get it up to standard.

A good service, dash, flat and polish, sills and boot catch area sorted are the main bits it needs.

What do you all think this is really worth?

That brings back memories :thumbs:

Glad you finally got one, well done :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back