Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Window tint removal!

Richtw

Monza
Odd question maybe but bear with me!

My C4S has rear window tints which personally i can't stand as they spoil the lines of the car. I originally thought it was factory privacy glass but due to the oppressive heat we have had recently there is a small amount of break down on the adhesive. One quick call to OPC today has confirmed the car was built with clear glass. Happy days i think!

So my question is how much of a git of job is it to remove a tint from the rear screen...has anyone got any helpful tips or experience they can share?

Thanks

I've never removed tint film, but a bit of heat with a hair dryer helps with all other vinyl removal. If it's on the rear heated window, dont scratch the heating element wires!

The heating elements are your biggest issue. I'd research the he'll out of it before trying. Repairing the elements is a nightmare.
I'm the other way. I wish I could tint all the windows bar the front. Drives me nuts that I cant

If you are lucky the sticky stuff will peel off with the film, if you are unlucky the sticky stuff will be left on the glass and is an absolute joy to remove!

Maybe have a go at a corner and see how it goes.

Good luck.

FZP said:
The heating elements are your biggest issue. I'd research the he'll out of it before trying. Repairing the elements is a nightmare.
I'm the other way. I wish I could tint all the windows bar the front. Drives me nuts that I cant

Lol want to swap windows..... I am only joking!

Car booked in tomorrow after speaking to the tint shop and discussing ruining the rear element.... for the sake of a few quid probably best get a professional to do it!

I think that's the wisest move to be honest. When I went to get the windows tinted (each to their own :thumb: ) the guy made a point of emphasising the potential issues with the rear window and the heater elements if I ever wanted to have it removed.

I love tinted windows , its only in the UK for some reason we like to be goldfish in a bowl , I have a light tint on all my windows except the windscreen , it not only looks nice it helps keep me cool and protects in interior :thumb: :thumb: had the same light tint on the gen1 all round except windscreen , never had any issues about it ,I think its only if you go gangsta on the front door glass that they get upset and pull you :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0452_186.jpg
    img_0452_186.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3,889
  • img_2466_767.jpg
    img_2466_767.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 3,886
Phil 997 said:
I love tinted windows , its only in the UK for some reason we like to be goldfish in a bowl , I have a light tint on all my windows except the windscreen , it not only looks nice it helps keep me cool and protects in interior :thumb: :thumb: had the same light tint on the gen1 all round except windscreen , never had any issues about it ,I think its only if you go gangsta on the front door glass that they get upset and pull you :thumb:

Now that looks classy. Unfortunately someone has murdered out the quarters and rear screen on my Meteor grey and it just spoils the flow of the car. I agree that balanced tints all round (windscreen aside) look really good!

Richtw said:
Phil 997 said:

Now that looks classy. Unfortunately someone has murdered out the quarters and rear screen on my Meteor grey and it just spoils the flow of the car. I agree that balanced tints all round (windscreen aside) look really good!

Rich, I agree the murdered out back and clear front I see on cars is not a nice look on any model , I would take it to your local tint guys and get it removed and maybe consider a mild tint all round except screen . its healthy for you and good for the interior lol and looks nice :thumb: :thumb:

oh yes and just a heads up for anyone tinting the door glass make sure the fitters go well down under the qtr by the mirrors to stop the tint snagging on the mechanisum down there and peeling, most guys that have tinted 911s will be aware of it but doesnt hurt to mention it :thumb:

Phil 997 said:

What % tint is that Phil?

antonio said:
Phil 997 said:

What % tint is that Phil?

I went with 35% Antonio 50% would be fine if you just wanted a very light tint but when I held both up against the car for me the 35% worked best :thumb:

Attachments

• 5a7e381ae5ce2643db9daffc84c0bbe9_f67_389.jpg
    5a7e381ae5ce2643db9daffc84c0bbe9_f67_389.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 3,648
Would the 35% be legal?

FZP said:
Would the 35% be legal?

on the door glass nothing except UV protective clear film is legal Frank Behind the pillar you can put what you like on , but I have had this type of film on for years also the same % on my range rover and never had issues from anyone Law / mot etc. its still highly visable through at night . :thumb: :thumb:

I would suggest to anyone thinking of doing it go to your local decent tint co. get them to hold up options while you sit in the car , as they do high gloss , matt ,satin and a whole range of other things pretty sure I went for a quite matt one as it looked more OE and less lighly to attract the wrong attention :thumb:

As Iain has posted you see the side door glass can be 30% tint but what you mustn't forget is all glass is tinted a little most auto glass is something like 20/25% tinted when made even though it looks clear its actually not, so you in theory cant just stick 30% tint on and think its legal lol whether it would work playing dumb to that knowledge who knows lol. but those are the facts :thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back