Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 rear spolier automatic working problem

pogo

Trainee
Hi. Ive had my 1998 C2 for a couple of years now, and its been generally reliable.
However, recently, the rear spoiler has been frustrating me.
It has always raised and lowered automatically, no issues. Now, the warning light on the dash is always illuminated, it will raise automatically, but will only lower after switching off ignition, back on again, then using the manual switch.
I have dismantled the mechanism, and found all three micro switches appear to work with a simple open and closed circuit test. I was convinced one would be at fault.
I have trawled the internet, and saw something about a disconnect battery reset, codes needing to be cleared. Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Diagram below and youll need to pin out the wiring to the relays and at the instrument cluster for both the up and down position .. basically see whats missing at either the relays or the cluster and go from there .

Its a pretty basic system so i doubt theres any software that would cause this other than coding off .. in which case it will do nothing .

If it was me id probably start by swopping the up and down relays for known good ones before continuing.

Micro switches are the normal cause though .

Attachments

• spoiler_1_184.jpg
    spoiler_1_184.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 1,216
Spoiler

Thank you.
I will reassemble everything and start by looking at the relays.
Very helpful
Paul

deMort said:
Diagram below and youll need to pin out the wiring to the relays and at the instrument cluster for both the up and down position .. basically see whats missing at either the relays or the cluster and go from there .

Its a pretty basic system so i doubt theres any software that would cause this other than coding off .. in which case it will do nothing .

If it was me id probably start by swopping the up and down relays for known good ones before continuing.

Micro switches are the normal cause though .
Iain is there a way to alter the spoiler deployment speeds?
I.E get it to lift automatically at lower speeds?

If possible prefer the spoiler to deploy at 90mph rather than 75mph. Less obvious to bib.

The speed is determined by software in either the DME or instrument cluster with cluster being the more obvious one , its not something we can see or alter with a tester im afraid .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back