Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone had an Exige or thought about one?

Tobyone

Guys
Anyone out there had a Lotus Exige or though about having one?
Interest to know if anyone has any thoughts on one of the newer v6
Cars not the older 4 cylinder ones??
Ta

Son no.1 has just bought one, having run a supercharged Mustang (750+BHP) before then

Attachments

• exige_1_685.jpg
    exige_1_685.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 3,184
I almost bought an Exige when they first came out, but it was unbearable once the engine got up to temperature and aircon wasn't an option in the early models, so I bought a Griffith 500 SE instead.

More recently I revisited the Exige idea when the 380 Cup was launched, but I didn't fit in it particularly well. I'm 6'2", so not freakishly tall, but I seem to have a long back as there was only around 5mm of headroom. Unfortunately, a helmet was out of the question and the thought of a typical UK track day in the rain with the roof off doesn't really appeal.

I have a couple of (less vertically well endowed) friends with the V6 version and they are good cars with very few issues and certainly nothing serious, even with regular hard track use. They are completely different from anything with a Porsche badge, but a great car for a spirited blast. With some creative packing, they are a decent Euro trip car too.

Go for a test drive, if you fit, I expect you'll love it :thumb:

I know someone who had one of the more 'track focused' ones - he got rid of it, as it was forever going wrong

From a good friend of mine who owns one, ex GT3 996 owner.

If you want to respond on my behalf...
Really very quick indeed, superb handling and suppleness in a refreshingly compact package. Yes, stuff does go wrong, but you forgive it because it's deeply brilliant most of the time.
Try TLF or SELOC forums for more info.

MC

I did have a 4 cylinder supercharged one before swapping into a Cayman R. Good as the Cayman is, it is still overshadowed by the Lotus for directness and speed of response. You really felt the lack of mass when braking, accelerating or turning. I looked at the V6 when I changed the CR for the 981 GTS. The Lotus is still as brilliant as ever but the lack of any usable space and our preference for euro trips don't fit well together. The fit and finish on the Lotus has improved no end, but parked next to the Cayman there is no contest on that front.

My Exige was more reliable and required less pampering than the Porsche. You have to learn to ignore rattles. The other thing to note is that the Lotus community embraces modifications and upgrades. Rather refreshing compared to your local OPC.

Try a Cup car and you won't be disappointed.

Exige

All quite polite comments here which is no bad thing.
I will defiantly like to have a spin in one when I get the chance.
Keep looking at them and they seam great value second hand and most seam low milage sunny use only cars
:D

A good friend of mine bought his 380S new about the end of last year and i think the only thing that has needed attention is the air con which was covered under warranty and fixed same day

A group of us (8 cars + 11 of us) had our 3,250 mile trip over in the EU in mid-June and it was brilliant in terms of comfort, performance, handling and reliability - plus it sounds epic in some of the tunnels :grin:

HTH
:thumb:

I own a 380 Sport, having changed from an Elise 220 Cup this year.

It's a great car, enjoyable on the road and at lower speeds. There are the
usual Lotus problems (silly things that you have to go back and get fixed),
but I find the dealer support good and consider it part of the experience now!

With the exhaust valve open and full throttle it's a proper blast.

One thing I have noticed with the reduced rear visibility is how much more
conscious I am of the tailgaters......

snb993 said:
A good friend of mine bought his 380S new about the end of last year and i think the only thing that has needed attention is the air con which was covered under warranty and fixed same day

A group of us (8 cars + 11 of us) had our 3,250 mile trip over in the EU in mid-June and it was brilliant in terms of comfort, performance, handling and reliability - plus it sounds epic in some of the tunnels :grin:

HTH
:thumb:

Right that is it I am booked in to try one.
I don't think there is anything bad to say as a general by what you are saying.
Fuel economy must be fairly good?

hermes said:
I own a 380 Sport, having changed from an Elise 220 Cup this year.

It's a great car, enjoyable on the road and at lower speeds. There are the
usual Lotus problems (silly things that you have to go back and get fixed),
but I find the dealer support good and consider it part of the experience now!

With the exhaust valve open and full throttle it's a proper blast.

One thing I have noticed with the reduced rear visibility is how much more
conscious I am of the tailgaters......

Am surprised you get any :cop:

Keep the info coming, I am considering a V6 Cup for track work, does anyone have any insight on how this performs against a 996 / 997 GT3?

There is a chap on You Tube whom would have you believe a V6 Cup is a match for a 991 GT3, this I do not believe however would be interested in the 96/97 comparison.

crash7 said:
Keep the info coming, I am considering a V6 Cup for track work, does anyone have any insight on how this performs against a 996 / 997 GT3?

There is a chap on You Tube whom would have you believe a V6 Cup is a match for a 991 GT3, this I do not believe however would be interested in the 96/97 comparison.

No I would not believe it either, but I bet its not a as far away as we may think :what:

Tobyone said:
crash7 said:

No I would not believe it either, but I bet its not a as far away as we may think :what:

Latest Lotus Cup 430 is 400 bhp per tonne. (Older 380 Cup is 350bhp per tonne). Porsche 991.2 GT3 is 355 (RS is 364). On most UK tracks my money would be on the Lotus with the engine in the middle and a third less mass to move. It would be an interesting comparison.

Biggest problem with a 911 on a track is weight, anything that's half the weight of a 911 will walk all over it on a tight track.

Another good, if not very good car on a track is a Clio R.S. 220.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back